Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004 | 12:32 AM
JstBeCauz
Default New Tires

Well I posted something a while ago about needing new tires and only got 1 response. Dodgegirl19 recommended Kelly Safari AWR... Does anyone else have any input? Low road noise is probably the most important thing I'm looking for...

Also is there a good place to order them online or should I just get them at a local tire place?

Old 02-28-2004 | 02:33 AM
mazz
Veteran
Default RE: New Tires

Well, can you provide a bit more information. Wheel size? Year of Ram? 2WD or 4WD? Current tire size? What style of driving (highway, off-road)? Driving conditions (any snow or ice)?

I'm a fan of Cooper tires. They have several styles that might suit you, depending on the above parameters. Mostly available through dealers and stores, not much mail order or Internet. Cooper also makes several other brands that are less known, but still excellent quality. I recently put a set of Cooper Zeons on my Ram, but these are only available in 18" and larger wheel sizes. They are very quiet and perform great.

If you want to do some research on various brands, sizes, and styles, you might try visiting discounttiredirect.com, tirerack.com, and 1010tires.com. These sites will also provide you with some idea of cost along with some have reviews of some of the tires as well.

Old 02-28-2004 | 05:18 AM
JstBeCauz

Thanks for the response... as for what ruck i have etc...

It's a 2000 Ram 1500 4WD with the off road package (17 inch rims) I mostly drive on the highway and dont do any off roading. I live in MA so there is snow during winter but usually isnt too bad.

Old 02-28-2004 | 10:24 PM
BigDave
Professional

The current OEM tires for the RAM with the Off-road package, Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/70R17, scored excellent in every category at TireRack.com: Dry Traction, Wet Traction, Hydro Resistance, Snow Traction, Cornering Stability, Steering Response, Ride Comfort, Noise Comfort, & Tread Wear are the categories. The scale goes from Superior to Excellent to Good to Fair to Unacceptable. I haven't had mine for very long, so I can't tell you much, other than they put two pretty black stripes on the road when I put the pedal to the metal. I'll be going through a lot of tires if I keep that up.

Old 02-29-2004 | 02:47 AM
mazz
Veteran

I again, would suggest you visit Tirerack.com and just sort of poke around and compare tires. One thing to keep in mind if you are concerned about noise level, is the more agressive tread patterns have a tendancy to be more noisy. I know a lot of people like Bridgestone Revos. Don't know if they are available in a size you'd be looking at, but you might want to at least compare them at Tire Rack. Their tread pattern is a bit aggressive, but still people seem to like them.

BFGs seem to be more for the off-road croud, although they do have a less aggressive tire more suited to daily drivers, but heard it's still a bit noisy.

I'm still like Cooper Tires though. I've had real good luck, wear, and performance from them. But your budget and driving habits have to dictate, and it may be that Cooper or other brands' offerings won't fit the niche, and say the Goodyear Wrangler mentioned in the previous post by BigDave is the tire for you. Good luck with your research and let us know what you end up with.

Old 03-01-2004 | 01:34 PM
pabs

i just wnet thru this on my 04

315/70/17 bf goodrich allterrain, huge, quite, great handling and bolt right on
you'll have to adjust your speedo though summit sells a product for that
minw were $200 each

Quick Reply: New Tires