Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Changing Differential Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 01:17 AM
RFoster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Differential Fluid

Does anyone know of a web site that shows you photos in steps on changing rear differential fluid in 03 Ram 1500?

Old 03-01-2004, 01:22 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Default RE: Changing Differential Fluid

Should be same as most others, put pan under "pumpkin", losen bolts, crack seal, drain fluid, remove cover, clean old gasket off of punkin AND cover, put on new gasket, tighten bolts to specs, fill fluid to top of plug hole. If you have the "anti-slip" rearend I do believe you have to either buy the special A/S fluid or addative(sp). This is my first Dodge so im not sure if the A/S requires special fluid. Any gurus with comments to this?

Old 03-01-2004, 01:49 AM
mazz
Veteran

There is some special fluid you have to add for the anti-slip. Seems to me the fluid required for a change is rather expensive.

RFoster - Have you given thought to replacing the cover with an aftermarket unit that would have a drain plug and fill plug? I've been towing with the idea of putting a Mag-Hytec cover on when the time comes. Just need to figure out which one fits my Ram. One drawback, it takes more fluid to fill with this cover, and if the darn stuff is expensive to begin with, this will make it even more expensive.

http://www.mag-hytec.com

Old 03-01-2004, 12:08 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to get a bottle of friction modifier from a mopar dealer. For fluid you can use any correct weight diff. fluid. But you must use the friction modifier if you have antispin.

Old 03-01-2004, 01:18 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This link will walk you through it http://www.geocities.com/dak2nv/gears .

If you used a synthetic gear lube like Amsoil, it already comes with the friction modifier added to it. In rare cases, you may have to add some more.

Amsoil Gear lube is lifetime guaranteed. You won't need to replace it unless you sink your axle under water and contaminate the Gearlube.

Here is a link about it if interested.
http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/gearlubetest.htm

Bill,

Quick Reply: Changing Differential Fluid