Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

replacing heads on a 1998 1500 5.2L

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 02:00 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: replacing heads on a 1998 1500 5.2L

Do us all a favor, before you"slam"the dealership for a bad diag, get the truck fixed. You cannot fault someone for a bad diag based on what another guy says he thinks the problem is. When it is fixed and it did not need the parts the dealer said then you can talk smack. Dodge magnum engines have a bad habit of burning exhaust valves, I have changed dozens of heads for this exact problem. No mech anywhere, I dont care how good they think they are can diag a vehicle based on your description. BTW I have been a GOLD tech for Chryler/Dodge for 10 years, and I dont think I can diag a vehicle i have never seen better than a dealer that has it in their shop. Anyone who says they can I would never trust to work on my stuff.

Old 03-10-2004, 02:56 AM
upjeeper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked heads

dodgemech
you're right, i should have finished repairing my truck before i slam the dealership. Thus far i've removed one of the heads and found two cracks between the intake and exhaust valves, on cylinders #2 and #8. How common is this for Dodge engines? I ordered two "new" heads from someone in Denver. It turns out one of those heads has a small stress crack. The good news is the gentleman is sending me a third head ups overnight, i should have it tomorrow.

I guess i jumped the gun flaming the dealership, but when i've been working on this truck for several months without any success it's natural to get frusterated.

- upjeeper

Old 03-10-2004, 03:42 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: cracked heads

pretty common to have cylinder head problems on magnum engines-especially from about 95-99. usually left bank though, odd you had problems on the right bank. Remans from the dealer should only run about 400/ea-ready to bolt o.n

Quick Reply: replacing heads on a 1998 1500 5.2L