Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Damn Gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 11:58 AM
fireballcoatings
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Damn Gas milage

I have a 2001 Ram 4x4 loaded with every option...........it is a beautiful truck.......BUT the gas milage is also rediculous. I have the 305 tires on it and I get 290 miles to a tank with combo hwy/city which is about 11 mpg. When I tow only 1 sled on my enclosed aluminum Triton trailer (very light) the mileage is a laughable 7mpg or 170 miles to a tank. I carry loaded Gas cans on long trips because sometimes gas stations up North are further than 170 miles ........especially at night. What a joke!! The worst part of the the poor gas milage is the fact that the motor is gutless compared to what it should be ,,,,,,,,,,......or compared to the Hemi that gets about the same MPG.

I am surprised a class action law suit hasn't forced the automakers to stop inflating MPG ratings on the sticker.....like the 23 mpg my sticker had on my truck when I bought it. ?????

I have decided to try a few things to improve the MPG and hopefully low end torque/hp.

1. I bought the KN complete Kit for my truck that is SUPPOSED to increase HP 10 % AND IMPROVE GAS MPG?

2. I bought the Cat back dual exhaust system from Pypes Performance. I will remove my stock Y-Pipe and catalitic and Ceramic coat it high polished and then re-install it. I am going to leave the stock manifolds for now to see the gain. BTW.....The ceramic coating holds 40% more heat in the exhaust WHICH MEANS MORE FLOW......and won't rust or turn colour. The creamic coating is polished like chrome........so no need for St. Steel tips etc.

I wil post MPG RESULTS next week. Worst case scenario..........it will look & sound horny...... with a bit more Jam.

Mark
www.fireballcoatings.com

Old 03-29-2004, 02:02 PM
cdover73
Rookie

OK, I have a couple of cents worth here. First, I am driving a 2003 Quad Cab HEMI and am getting between 16 and 19 mpg. That is on paper, not the overhead computer! I'm not sure what my rear gears are, but I know it's probably on the high end. I have a fiberglass cover, 20" wheels, auto tranny, and Flowmasters. The only other mod is the #7 wire for the TCM has been pulled (no change in mileage, but better shifting). I drive 76 miles one way to work, but a third of that is city stop and go. I ususally drive around 75 to 85 mph (please, no harrassment). I do get in it from time to time, c'mon it IS a HEMI!
I don't know of anyone locally who has a HEMI, so I can't compare first hand, but from what I have heard, I have an exception. I guess I just got lucky because I know every vehicle drives and acts differently, even the same type.

As far as the fuel injector cleaning, be careful. You have to remember that when you clean one part (the injectors) the deposits go elsewhere. If you don't take care to purge everything through the exhaust, you can end up with valve carbon build up, fouled plugs, etc. What I do is use Chemtool in my intake to clean the throttle body, but when it comes to injectors, I have them professionally cleaned by a local mechanic who is very good. It only costs me $60 and it is guaranteed. I haven't had to do it yet on my HEMI, but have had very good success on my '97 5.9 for over 175,000 miles.

Old 03-29-2004, 02:40 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's got a Hemi. 345 HP= air + gas.

Maybe a Higher gear would help. I just switched to Mobil 1 and saw a 0.8 MPG increase. Hardly enough to justify the cost of the oil. My truck actually does a bit better than the sticker said. The first HWY trip gave me 20.1 MPG, @ 70-75 MPH. My averages are also a bit higher than expected.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:55 AM
synseq

Whats the ideal MPH for optium fuel economy on the highway and in the city. I've been trying to cruise 65-70 on the highway and 30-45 in the city. I'm trying to get my average fuel economy above 11.5.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:04 AM
BigDave
Professional

My truck is the most fuel efficient around 50mph on country roads - 16-17mpg. On the highway where 80mph is the norm, I get about 14mpg. In town, I get about 12-13mpg.

Old 03-30-2004, 04:30 AM
Bucko
Rookie

just punch the gas till you hit about 85-90mph then just hope you can coast the rest of the way.
yeah right, seriously though i've got a k&n and haven't noticed much difference in mileage. i was almost thinking about trading it in on that bad *** little srt 4 until i was informed that the turbo stage upgrades are illegal in Ca. all i can say is hope that the gas prices don't hit the 3$ mark by summer. i feel your pain, but there will always be consequences for being the biggest and best. HEMI woohaa!

Old 03-30-2004, 10:15 AM
fireballcoatings

Installed the K&N FIPK KIT on my 2001 Ram 5.9. The power gain is noticable........especially at higher speeds 60mph plus. My gas MPG is about 1.5- 2.0 mpg BETTER than it was (11.5-12.00 avg and now 13-14 mpg) and that is the best part. Of course that is driving it nice. Overall well worth the $$. At $3.50 /gallon (Canada) and driving 400 miles per week.........I figure the gas savings will pay for the kit in about 6 months.

Quick Reply: Damn Gas milage