Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Factory CD Player MUST go...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 02:41 AM
bearcat74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Factory CD Player MUST go...

Well in previous read there is an adapter available for the stock controls available from sounddomain.com. If it cant be aquired there let me know the IR frequency and I will see if I can develop a plug in remote that will be compatable with the new head units. If givin the right amount of frequencies mabye a multi channel selection model can be developed. I know that they will not take much to build except for time and design. So let me know if they are available or if I should get out the meters and schematic program...

Old 03-18-2004, 04:17 AM
04GTX
Rookie

also i bought a flip out dvd/ tv and the dash concerned be as it's kinda curved right above the radio, but no worries the tv does not hit it for future reference!!!

Old 03-18-2004, 05:58 AM
bullitt1229
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 04GTX

also i bought a flip out dvd/ tv and the dash concerned be as it's kinda curved right above the radio, but no worries the tv does not hit it for future reference!!!
If you don't mind me asking, what brand did you go with and how much did you pay for installation, or is it something you can do yourself. Because I am looking to go this route as well.

Old 03-18-2004, 04:28 PM
04GTX
Rookie

ORIGINAL: bullitt1229

ORIGINAL: 04GTX

If you don't mind me asking, what brand did you go with and how much did you pay for installation, or is it something you can do yourself. Because I am looking to go this route as well.
It's really easy, just basically like any other head unit, like one or two more things to do, i went with the pioneer avh-p6500dvd, it's touch screen, but it's last years model and i got it kinda cheap, i think all together i paid like $1800 for it, if you ever go that way, just let me know if you need help on install as i can probably walk ya through it!!

Old 03-18-2004, 07:34 PM
kiteman

PAC make a unit, SWIX is the part #. It will let you use your steering whell controls with a aftermarket radio. You can order one from Xtreme Tint & Alarms for $51.95 their phone # is 281-492-8468 ask for mike

Old 03-19-2004, 03:50 AM
Palm
Professional

Note to all that have, or plan to, install a DVD/TV in your dash. You might want to check your local laws governing these units. I live in Alabama, and it is illegal here and they have really been cracking down on it lately. I know from a story that I read in the newspaper that it is also illegal in several other states.

The law here states that the screen on one of these devices cannot be mounted forward of the back of the front seat if it is to be operated while the vehicle is in motion. Otherwise it cannot be in operation while the vehicle is in motion. Be aware that many shops that install these devices may not know that it is illegal in your state, or they may not care. If it is illegal in your state the shop, or the installer, are supposed to install a lock-out module that prevents the system from working if the ignition switch is in the "on" or run position. They found that in most cases people were jumping these switches out so they could view it going down the road.

I think this is a good law. I would hate to see someone trying to drive down the road while watching TV. Some might say that it would be for the benefit of the passenger, but that doesn't hold water in my book. A lot of people can't drive down the road safely talking on a cell phone, much less watching TV. The navigation screens that are coming in some vehicles are also under scrutinity in most states, no word yet if these are going to fall under this law.

Old 03-19-2004, 05:25 AM
04GTX
Rookie

i agree, i installed mine b/c it's touch screen for the radio and cd functions, i will also be attending alot of car shows and everyone knows you can only look at the cars so many times and i will be enjoying many movies over the course of the summer at car shows and other functions!!!

and yes i think it's illegal in about every state that the screen cannot be visible from the drivers seat!! therefore behind them. and all shops that install these are at fault if they don't wire them correctly to where they only work when the parking brake is on, as i used to install and would not change it for them at any cost, as i don't want to meet them on a 2 lane highway late at night and have them be at my funeral saying "i wasn't watching it, it was for my friend on the way home"!!!!

very good post and everyone getting one, please be careful and if you're going to watch it while driving keep a lookout for cops and shut it off as they approach b/c it's not a cheap ticket i'm sure!!!

Old 03-21-2004, 08:42 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Just a thought. I would get the dealer to get you a new cd player before you get started on the new system. If you decide later to take out the new player(like tradein) you will have a working one to put back in.

Old 03-21-2004, 09:43 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I work for a Police Department here in Texas and as of September 2003, it's illegal to have a TV or DVD screen visible from the drivers seat. Major fine.[sm=smiley24.gif]

Old 03-22-2004, 02:53 PM
sbutter21

I did some work this weekend on my Ram 2500 QC 4x4 CTD 600.

I finally got my trailer tow mirrors installed per the due bill when I purchased the truck about 3 weeks ago.

Here are a couple pictures of the tow mirrors for anyone who hasn't seen them.

After I got home from the dealer I installed a new CD Player/Head unit. It is a Pioneer DEH-7600MP. It plays MP3/WMA and is XM ready. It also has a line-in which was one of the reasons I choose this unit, others being past experience with pioneer units and reviews from other customers.

Installation is very simple when you have all the correct harnesses and mounting hardware. Crutchfield includes everyting you need for free except the screw driver, butt connectors and crimper.

To remove the dash section around the radio, there is one screw behind the 'purse hook'. Remove the screw and the dash section just pulls right off. Once removed, there are 4 screws to remove the factory unit. Once the screws are removed, unplug the wire harness and antenna wire.

Now that the old unit is removed, plug in the new one. Connect the wire harness and the antenna (You will need a Chrystler to Motorola antenna adapter, Crutchfield includes this for free). Once everything is plugged in, make sure all the wires from the new wire harness are wrapped up cleanly to avoid damage to them or extra rattles. This is especially important if you have the Line-In adapter which is a 1" square metal box that has sterio rca connectors on it. This will rattle around all over the place if it isn't tied down.

I took the added step of removing the pocket (4 screws) below the hvac controls and drilling a hole in it for my RCA to 3/8" head phone adapter that would run from the line-in adapter to my iPod. After drilling the hole i replaced the pocket and ran my wire through and into the pocket.

Here is a picture of the completed install:

As I took these pictures I realized that the trim around the new unit wasn't quite fitting right into the dash. I quickly realized I had it on upside down. I have since flipped it around and it fits much better, also looks quite a bit better too. So pay attention to the corners of the mounting bracket and make sure they match up to the dash before you tighten everything down.

Let me know if you have any questions about this install.
-Sam

Quick Reply: Factory CD Player MUST go...