Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Condensation Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 03:52 AM
steveh_houston
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensation Leak

Hello All,

Here's what I have:

1996 Dodge Ram 1500
5.2l V8
97,000 miles
Standard transmission.

I need help with the following problems:

1. Passenger side puddle. For the past two days, I've noticed a puddle on my passenger side floor mat. What makes this interesting is that its only on the floor board, with no trace of a leak from the firewall or anywhere else. I think its water condensation since its clear and odorless. It may also be rainwater, since its been raining a lot in Houston, Texas lately.
2. Cruise Control not working. The cruise light comes on when I hit the cruise control button, but the truck does not maintain speed. I've also noticed that when I accelerate hard, the front vents do not blow air, but come back on when I ease the throttle. I think its a vacuum leak, but don't know where to look.
3. Rough Idle/bad mileage - For the first 2-3 years of ownership (buying it in 1998), the truck has started instantaneouly on the first attempt. Lately, it takes 2-3 cranks and idles a little rough (shakes, but does not stall). My mileage has also dropped from 15-16 to 11-12. I've replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and ignition cables. I've also had a recent fuel injection cleaning service and a new ignition cap installed. A Pep-Boys system diagnostic (electrical, fuel, etc...) did not show anything abnormal. My guess was a clogged fuel filter or a failing gas pump(s), but the dealership said that they hardly ever replace the filter on these trucks. I don't have a clue on this one...

If anyone has any suggestions, please help!!! Thanks.

Steve

Old 08-01-2005, 09:14 PM
ozarkpreacher
Default RE: Condensation Leak

The puddle on your pass. floor could be condensation from the AC if you are running it. Bugs and dirt dobbers are famous for crawling up in the tube that drains the moisture from your AC core and plugging them up. I would check that tube just outside the firewall and see if it is plugged with dirt or debris.

Cruise, can't help you there.

Your engine problem is likely going to be something simple, if you ran diagnostics and it shows no problems then it is not electrical such as a sensor or something of that nature. I would change that fuel filter first and check for any simple things such as a vaccuum line off. Possibly could be the same one that is allowing your cruise to malfunction?

You also don't mention if these symptoms all occured about the same time or if it was a series of seperate events.

good luck

Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 PM
ozarkpreacher

If you don't find a vaccuum leak I have seen in times past where a leaking intake gasket or throttle body gasket could cause some of the same symptoms you are experiencing

Old 08-01-2005, 09:29 PM
steveh_houston

Found my vacuum leak! It was a broken hose near the speed control sensor (under the battery). This solved my cruise control and the related vent problem. I also fixed my drain problem by doing the following:

1. Blew in compressed air through the drain pipe
2. Ran a cable through the drain pipe
3. Connected a shop vac to the drain pipe

I went ahead and replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and air filter. I think I've increased my mpg, but its too early to tell. Thanks.

Steve

Old 08-04-2005, 03:49 AM
kyleitzen

i have a 1996 1500 5.2 auto and i have the same problem with the ac. at 2200-2500 rpm the ac stops blowing out of the dash vents and redirects to the defroster vents. When you decelerate you can hear a bump as it returns to the dash vents. I have no idea whats wrong.

Quick Reply: Condensation Leak