Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Door Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 03:55 PM
steveh_houston
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Swap

Hello All,

I have a plain-jane 1996 1500. I want power windows, locks, and electric mirror. I think the fastest upgrade will be to purchase SLT "fully loaded" doors of the same model and color and install them on mine. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts about potential problems? Am I wrong to assume that my plain jane is prewired for power options (i.e will I have to run new wires to the fuse box)? No, I don't want to upgrade to a newer Dodge. My 96 has been the most realiable vehicle I've ever owned. Thanks.

Steve

FYI - I think I solved the problems on my earlier post:

1. Bad Mileage - Replaced K&N air filter with disposable type. Replaced plugs with EGK V-power. Replaced cap and rotor with Mopar OEM. Plugs, cap, filter, and rotor did not seem to be excessively worn, but I had to start somewhere. Kept the Bosch cables (still good). So far, I think my mileage has gone up by at least 2 mpg. I'll post the results after I burn up a full tank.
2. Condensation Puddle - Took and air hose and blew the drain from the firewall (engine side, under condenser). I took a piece of coax cable and ran it up the drain to break any clogs. Also, notice that my squirl cage had leaves and twigs. I cleaned the cage and noticed an increase in air flow from the drain pipe. I think the debris was reducing the air flow, causing the condensation to sit in the pan instead of being blown out. I strongly recommend trying these fixed before attempting to replace the seal (which requires dash board removal).
3. Cruise control (unposted problem) - Found and replaced broken hose by the speed control solenoid (under the battery). This was a $0.39 fix!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Door Swap