Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

problem with poll on right

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005 | 11:28 PM
RamRough
Default problem with poll on right

ok so a cold air intake is winning and i dont think people realize the polls question. best dollar value per bit of power gained. my choice was weight reduction. its free . may not be at all practical and not reallypower added but you drop weight you pick up power to weight ratio. the only thing better than that is improving aerodynamics. if people just used dollar / hp they might be amazed. lets say you pick up 10 hp from a cai ( i think thats optimistic in todays modern vehicles. I have seen a cold air intake vary in price from $200-$400. lets pick the average of $300. so divide 300 by 10 and you get $30/hp. forced induction, the other end of the spectrum. lets say a turbo or supercharger will cost on average of $3000. a good aftermarket boost device should give you say 130-150 hp? lets be optimistic and say 150 hp. thats $20/ hp. indeed better. how about a computer chip/tuner. that will run what between $300 and $600 on average so well say $450. i think i have seen 45 hp for a superchips tuner, is thta correct? that would be $10 / hp Diesels are even beeter with chips. mine cost me $500 and gained me 120 hp which equates to a measly $4.1/ hp. ( yeah diesel). cat back system? averages what? perhaps $450 and you maybe pick up 10hp if your lucky. thats back up to $45/ hp. nitrous. a good safe complete system, that will cost you around $600? pick up 150hp so thats an amazing $4/hp. however thats not considering that nitrous needs refilled and can and will stress internal engine components possibly shorting the life of the engine (more money) so thats a tuff one to compute out. drive gear increase. wel i guess they mean rearend ratio. that costs me $200 for instalation and $150 for the ring and pinion. however you dont really pick up hp/ from this. if anyhting you get some little bit more of torque but thats all. so cant calculate that one. also you risk losing fuel mileage now that your going to be running at higher rpms to maintain same speeds.

I make my point yet? now not everyone can afford the forced induction but it sems to me that CAI are smashing the rest of the results and i wonder if this is because people like this becaus emost anyone can add one on or if its a marketing thig. i dont know.

So come on let me know what your opinion is. think im right on? think im way off? let me know and like school, explain your answer!
If your wondering where my numbers come from, some is from personal experience and the rest is just like i said loose averages of what has been reported by people over the years.
so come on let me have it.
BTW i voted for weight reduction cause i think its the best dollar value. as in free. do i rip out my back seats?personally no. but i think thats what answers the polss question the best. just something that was nagging me.

Quick Reply: problem with poll on right