Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Installed new Flows

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 12:15 PM
synseq
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installed new Flows

I had a 40 series flowmaster muffler welded in with dual exit tips. It sounds ok but its not very loud. If I went with a borla catback would it sound a lot better? I had a Magnaflow magnapack catback on my 00 GT when I traded in it, man I miss that sound.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:18 PM
dodgefreak
All Star

Not to brag...but my system sounds killer now!! I have a flowmaster 40 series 3inch in dual 2.5 (i think) out. I have them exiting from the side in front of the passanger side rear tire!

What realy made the difference for me was the cat being taken off...lol

Do you still have a resonator on yours??

Old 03-24-2004, 05:28 PM
yawnshemi420
Captain

I concur, should have gone with 40. Love mine beautiful sound, I get complimented everywhere, not too deep not too high... its perfect, nice throtty sound at idle.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Connect

True you can just take the cat off untill you need to get it smogged, i dont think ive ever heard of anyone ever being pulled over for to loud of an exhaust.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:21 PM
yawnshemi420
Captain

I guess you've never been to WA HAHAHA

they pull you over for spitting out of the window up here... or to loud of stereo OR IF YOU IN THE FRIGGIN' CAR POOL LANE GOING 80 WITH ILLEGAL TINT AND TAILLIGHTS. I feel better now.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:54 PM
CaliHemi

So lemme get this straight...I take the Cat conv. out completely? That will provide additional HP and better sound? I've never taken out a catalitic conv., how's it done? Is it easy to take off and put back in when needed? Is it illegal? Not that I really care if it gives me more HP and a better sound.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:03 AM
bullitt1229
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CaliHemi

So lemme get this straight...I take the Cat conv. out completely? That will provide additional HP and better sound? I've never taken out a catalitic conv., how's it done? Is it easy to take off and put back in when needed? Is it illegal? Not that I really care if it gives me more HP and a better sound.
To take the cat out completely, you are going to have to cut it out, which in turn will cause your SES (service engine soon) light to come on. Then you will have to weld a piece of tubing in place. If this isn't a problem for you, then go ahead. It may/will give you a little more horsepower (3-5) and the sound will be aweseome. If you have a plasma cutter and welding torch, then it is a piece of cake to take off and put back on. It's like they say, it's only illegal if you get caught. Same thing goes for cheating. If you have a plasma cutter and welding torch, and you are only inspected once a year, I say go for it.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:15 AM
CaliHemi

I want better sound...what if I just buy bigger tips for the dual exhaust? Maybe it's the stock air filter, I haven't recieved my K&N drop in yet, would that provide any additional sound? Also...the duals are only 2.25" is that big enough? I heard on this site before that if you get too small dual exhaust it could actually hurt HP? I haven't noticed much of a difference in acceleration.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:51 AM
CaliHemi

One thing I forgot to add...Is more power gained in the dual config. or in the single?

Old 03-25-2004, 01:56 AM
bullitt1229
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CaliHemi

I want better sound...what if I just buy bigger tips for the dual exhaust? Maybe it's the stock air filter, I haven't recieved my K&N drop in yet, would that provide any additional sound? Also...the duals are only 2.25" is that big enough? I heard on this site before that if you get too small dual exhaust it could actually hurt HP? I haven't noticed much of a difference in acceleration.
Tip size should have nothing to do with the sound. Just out of curiosity, why did you go with the 2.25" piping? Isn't the stock piping 2.5"? The K&N will help a little, but not a lot. If I were you, I would just buy a 40 series muffler with 3" in and dual 2.5" out and have the muffler shop weld that it. It will be a big improvement over what you have now. Don't waste your money on the tips. Other than just throwing on a 40 series muffler, I don't think there is much you can do.

Quick Reply: Installed new Flows