Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

WEAK HEMI?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 11:04 AM
04GTX
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WEAK HEMI?????

I just bought an 04 hemi gtx and drove it from houston so i'm sure it's broke in with a straight 800 miles at 70-80 mph, but when i do get on it, which is very rare, it won't break the tires loose or even chirp them, now granted i have the special chrome 20's with 285's but still 360 horse (cat back exhaust) and no tire spin???? and also when it shifts from first to second it's FREAKING weak, it basically is really really weak and you can even hear it through the exhaust, like it just basically is governed in the computer to not shift hard and kinda wimps out right at the shift point??? i'm just wondering if it's just not broke in yet (computer wise) or if it's going to be that way forever and i have to get a computer put in to get it to really run???? but love the truck nonetheless!!! and am kinda displeased with performance so far!! oh and the downshifts suck, they don't really kick from 3rd to 1st like i want, but i'm sure that's fixable with a programmer or computer??

Old 03-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Ruslt
Rookie
Default RE: WEAK HEMI?????

From what Ive read the computer learns the way you drive and compinsates for it. Go out and from a stop try spinning the tires. From full stop stomp on the gas and hold till it shifts do this about 4 times. I did it yesterday and it worked. on the first nothing just took off with not even a chirp. on the 2nd a small chirp from right side on the third a bigger little chirp from both sides and on the 4th all hell broke loose. I have the 04 QC Ram 4.7. I was surprised to learn that it would learn driving habits. I baby my truck and hardly ever spin the tires but I just wanted to know it would do it!

Old 03-24-2004, 12:37 PM
Ruslt
Rookie

Let us know if it works for ya!

Old 03-24-2004, 02:53 PM
HEMIDAZE

I read somewhere that the computer restricts the horsepower until the engine breaks in. Give it some time.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:58 PM
gravymonkey
Veteran

I had heard the same thing from the dealer that sold me my Hemi.

Old 03-24-2004, 03:35 PM
yawnshemi420
Captain

Dude now worries, my truck did the SAME thing when I first got it, I wasn't all that impressed but each day gets better and better.

I'd say honestly it took about 10K miles for my truck to run how I want it to.... which is the same time I switch to Synthetics.

Put intake on as well.... needs more air if you are pusing more air out with the Exhaust.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:05 PM
04GTX
Rookie

i hope not 10K miles, i only drive it once or twice a week and 10K miles is a long ways away, i'm at 1400, and i've heard that about the learning too, but i don't like it b/c you can't even show what you got unless you know it's coming up and get it "learned" to whoop some SS or something, that's crazy, b/c i baby mine all the time and was just wondering if it will change anytime soon as far as shifting b/c when i do get on it i want it to be there and not have to do it, like you said, three or four times to get what i want out of it!! Thanks all for the words, i'm workin on cold air, but thanks again!!

Old 03-25-2004, 01:03 AM
BigDave
Professional

ORIGINAL: Ruslt

From what Ive read the computer learns the way you drive and compinsates for it. Go out and from a stop try spinning the tires. From full stop stomp on the gas and hold till it shifts do this about 4 times. I did it yesterday and it worked. on the first nothing just took off with not even a chirp. on the 2nd a small chirp from right side on the third a bigger little chirp from both sides and on the 4th all hell broke loose. I have the 04 QC Ram 4.7. I was surprised to learn that it would learn driving habits. I baby my truck and hardly ever spin the tires but I just wanted to know it would do it!
I did the exact same thing and it worked the same way. 4th time is the charm.

Old 03-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Vader
Champion

Tell ya what I'll do, I trade ya my truck for yours

Old 03-25-2004, 02:04 AM
BigDave
Professional

ORIGINAL: Vader

Tell ya what I'll do, I trade ya my truck for yours
TRADE??? I haven't finished with my mods yet.

I'm still trying to figure out which CAI I like the best. Then again, if I get rid of my car, then maybe the misses will let me get a supercharger instead.

Quick Reply: WEAK HEMI?????