Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Tranny wont stay in OD

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 02:50 AM
wesl56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny wont stay in OD

cruising at highway speeds, the truck will be in od, but then downshift for a moment and then go back to od... point is, its not stayin in od (i hate autos)

someone told me that it was because the speed sensor was bad... anyone got any ideas?

Old 03-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Slaywick
Default RE: Tranny wont stay in OD

Could be a speed sensor problem.....but it would likely set a trouble code if it was...It kinda sounds like the overdrive piston in the trans may be loosing fluid pressure....or the governer pressure (there is a cable to regulate governer pressure)could be set up wrong...lots of possiblities, you need to get that to the dealership to be diagnosed

Old 04-11-2004, 03:20 PM
ernie36

Similar problem here.
The truck seems to downshift and the "od off" light comes on by itself
and I can't put it back in od with the button. Only after shutting the truck off and restarting will the light go off. By the was my tranny was rebuilt at 47,000 miles and the high band broke at 74,000 miles.
with 90,000 miles I had a pump selenoid replaced. Looking to trade it in this month for another Dodge. Other than the tranny I am happy with the truck.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500
5.9 L
5 speed automatic trans

Old 04-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Tempsho
Professional

One thing to check, is the brake sensor light on the brake pedal. I guy I work with owned a 1999 Dodge ram with an auto, and when he would hit a small bump, the brake pedal would vibrate, causing the sensor to pick up and brake lights would come on. When you hit the brakes, your tranny come out of OD automatically. So check this. If you can adujust it, most the sensor back so it doesnt pick up when the pedel moves only a slight amount.

If thats not what it is, the clutch packs inside the tranny are going. If your having problems with reverse, then thats what it is, and chances are, your tranny will need to be rebuilt.

Quick Reply: Tranny wont stay in OD