Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Brake lines replacement- Easy question for you

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 05:43 PM
jer28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lines replacement- Easy question for you

I have a 99 1500 4X4 long bed. My brakes lines have rotted out and they have burst. I need to change out all the brake lines, here is my question.

Does the gas tank need to be dropped in order to pull out and install a new brake line going to the rear of the vehicle???? Keep in mind I have a 35 gallon tank and its 3/4 full right now so if I don't have to pull it then that would be great. Thanks

Old 09-06-2005, 01:08 AM
thump186
Record Breaker
Default RE: Brake lines replacement- Easy question for you

follow the brake lines along the frame rails. i believe they are on the driver side frame rail. You should be able to sneak the line past the tank.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:47 PM
jer28

Okay, thank you. You are correct, the line runs along the drivers side frame rail. It is a very tight squeeze in there, I just was not sure if there are any kind of supports bolted to the frame rail like there in some other places.

If I have to remove the gas lines from the tank to drop it those lines will more than likely be fuzed to the ferruls from the rust and end up breaking too. What fun I am having ..........

Old 09-07-2005, 01:45 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

I believe it is just clips. have a looka nd see how the line is supported further up the frame.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:18 PM
teqmod

Not trying to hijack this thread but I am in the same boat on my '96. Are you getting the pre-formed lines from the dealer or making your own lines? If you are making your own what size line are you using and what size fittings will I need? I hear they are metric thread?

Any and all help is welcome!!!

Old 09-08-2005, 05:26 PM
jer28

Well I finished up. Here is the deal I did the 2 rubber hoses for the caliper. The hard line from the abs/mc area to the driver side rubber hose, the hard line between the driver and passenger side and called it quits for the day. While inside the truck fell off the jacks and stands. I have a very uneven rock driveway. My wife and I thought it would be best to let someone finish it up. A garage replaced the rear line and they did not have to drop the tank.

Teqmod-Up front there are indeed some metric fittings, napa carries adapters that can change over from the US 3/16 thread flare fitting to that metric fitting. They work beautifully, using these adapters allow you to keep the factory flares ends of the tubing. So to answer your next question I purchased the brake lines from napa and used couplers if I ran short, as I did going between the driver and passenger side. The tube lengths are available in 8, 12, 50, 60 inch lengths (maybe more too).

The shop charged me $400 to do that one line and the 2 small ones that run to the wheel cylinder. I could have done it for less than $100 with no problems. My fault for not being careful so I paid the price to have someone else do it......

Quick Reply: Brake lines replacement- Easy question for you