Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Decision on a dodge truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 08:25 PM
aj811
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision on a dodge truck

hey guys, I'm new to dodges and trucks and this site but it looks really informative around here from what I can tell.
Anyways I found a 2001 5.2 L Ram 1500, 5 speed manual ,quad cab short bed here in Southern California

It has 48k miles on it and I can get it for just under 10 grand before tax, title ect. I like the fact that its still has fairly low millage compared to other trucks I've been looking at for the price range, and I like the 4 doors and the V8. What I'm not too thrilled about is its pretty much has no optioins included, no power anything ect.

My real question is how reliable can I expect it to be, and what are some of the most common problems with these 2001 5.2 L Rams?

If some of you much more knowlegable Dodge guys could help a newbie out. I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks

Old 03-28-2004, 09:43 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Decision on a dodge truck

common problems-lower intake gasket blown on intake, water pump leak, and pinging on acceleration

Old 03-29-2004, 03:32 AM
aj811

Is the 5.2 L engine any good? how are the manual transmissions in these trucks?. Is it true that the interior and exterior will beging to fall apart on me pretty soon?

Bottom line I want a reliable truck that I can keep for at least 5 or 6 years. Is this 2001 Ram with 48 k miles a good buy at just under 10 grand? I'm just a college student right now so I cant really afford a new truck, so I just want to get best bang for the buck pretty much

Sorry for all the questions but I just always have to do my research
Thanks

Old 03-29-2004, 03:45 AM
bearcat74
Professional

From what I know the trans are bullit proof. Engins are great. Long standing none the less. Look throught the forums and you will see that they are a great buy. Look at the number of trucks you see on the road. I bet you see a few on the road. I would say a great buy..

Old 03-29-2004, 06:59 AM
aj811

Thanks alot bearcat, that reassures me alot, I was really excited when I first saw it, I left a small deposit so it wouldnt get sold ( has happened twice in the last two weeks after seeing a really nice truck )

If I sell my grand am tomorrow I should have my Ram within the day or two.

I'm going to need some help to make it a really great looking and performing truck so any advice would be welcome and appreciated
Thanks

Old 03-29-2004, 07:09 AM
Connect

Ok first off, im assuming its two wheel drive, big stereo, leveling kit, wax it and buff it, flowmasters, k&n cai (cold air intake), chip/adjust the computer, supercharger (muahahhaha www.vortechsuperchargers.com ) , then you can mess around with bodykits, wheels, hood scoop.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:59 AM
aj811

right now I'm just waiting to see if I can get the financing. I should know tomorrow if I get the truck or not. Is there anything else anyone wants to add about these trucks. I need all the info possible.

From what I've been reading I can expect pretty ugly MPG numbers, which will hurt because my mustang is getting about 13 mpg in the city, and its already hurting my wallet.

oh and does anyone know or heard of somewhere that I can switch from non power windows to power windows? Or is that just not possible to do after they come out of the factory?

Old 04-07-2004, 12:58 AM
aj811

Anyways I just wanted to let you guys know that I got my truck yesterday, so I should be bugging you guys with plenty of more questions in the future. Thanks for all the imput

Quick Reply: Decision on a dodge truck