Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

what's this???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:15 PM
tnram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's this???

We're having a problem with our 2001 Ram Pickup.
When you start it, the gas gauge, rpms, temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge, all go to zero. The odometer flashes, then says "no bus" (or something like that.)
What does this mean? Can anyone help?
Thanks!

Old 03-29-2004, 11:19 PM
meurich
Default RE: what's this???

I had a similar problem with a 1997 Dodge Stratus. When I got the "No Bus" error the car wouldn't start. The problem was intermittent and made the car unreliable. I took it to the dealer and several shops for repair after $ 1500.00 worth of repairs (distributor, computer...) it still did it. The "No Bus" related to some sort of computer problem. Finally after 6 months I gave up and got rid of the car.

Old 03-29-2004, 11:24 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

A computer "bus" is a flat cable that carries info to various componets of the computer. I'd be surprised(!) to see it in a vehicle because of the size, but the basic meaning is the same. Take it to an auto parts chain for a free code readout...

Old 03-30-2004, 12:39 AM
Ratchet
Rookie

Yes... newer vehicles do have bus systems. It's simply digital code sending information to different modules in the vehicle. Kind of like a speed signal from the wheels... but they use different digital signals so that the modules have an actual "address". If your cluster says "bus", them I'm guessing something major is shutting the bus system down in your truck, and not allowing communication to occur. I would suggest you go to a large, well respected Dodge dealership to get it looked at. I don't know if Autozone will be able to get you a code out of there that will point you in a good direction or not. But either way, you definately need to find out what's causing it.

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Slaywick

Bus problem is a serious issue that no jobber joes garage will be able to fix...I am a certified dodge tech and in my opinion that vehichle should already be at the dealership......bus problems are a mess to fix sometimes