Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Hemi 2004 noise ?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 05:40 AM
gorilla
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi 2004 noise ?????

Hello, I just purchased a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Larmie. Believe me, this is a lot of truck. Just getting use to it. I came out of a 2001 Ford Xlt F-150.

I have questions about the Hemi. There appears to be a noise which sounds like a chirp or like fan belt noise. The dealer's service department kissed me off to tell me that there may be a fix coming out but they are not sure. Has anyone else experience this noise. It is very agravatiing seeming that the truck cost an arm and leg and three toes. Once I took it off of the lot it was too late to change my mind. It would be nice to hear from other members that may have heard or know of this noise. It appears to happen after the truck is warmed up. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2004, 03:37 AM
BigDave
Professional
Default RE: Hemi 2004 noise ?????

My truck makes the same noises. If you pop the hood and listen closely you will hear the infamous "Hemi tick." It's been debated as to what the cause of the noise. I assume there is a DCX engineer or two who know, but they aren't talking. The official line from what Ihave heard is that it is normal.

Old 04-03-2004, 11:51 AM
cmiddle2

I recently just purchased the same vehicle and mine has a swirling sound between the back of the engine and the tranmission. I think this has more to do with the fuel pump and torque converter doing there thing than anything else. It is not noticeable while driving and only appears at idle.

My Hemi so far is very smooth. It does have some valve ticking but you have to practically stick your head onto the valve cover to hear it. I am with the rest of the board and consider this normal.

Old 04-04-2004, 07:31 PM
gorilla
Amateur

Well, I contacted Daimlier/Chrysler and spoke to one of the chaps in customer service. They have not received any official TSB's on the subject but took my concern serious. I belong to another Dodge Forum and many of the members are complaining of the same problem. If any one is truly concern, like I am, about this issue please contact the Chrysler Corp. and file your complaint. This truck cost me a pretty penny it should not be sounding like an old vehilcle [:@]. Other than that the vehicle is smooth on the road and grabs lots of attention.

Dodge Ram 1500 2004
Hemi Magnum 5.7

Old 04-07-2004, 01:38 PM
OSCAR

I have a 2004 Hemi with a whooshing/squeaking noise that sounds like it is coming from an engine pulley. It is most appearant when the engine is warmed up and is idling at about 500RPM's. You can hear it best when standing at or just behind the front doors on either side. I asked the salesman and he said it was normal. I asked the service guys to check it out, and they said it was normal. I am waiting for my first service appointment, I only have 1000 miles on it so far, to ask them again.

If they blow it off again, I will call Chrysler and complain. If enough of us call in they might create a fix we can use to quiet it down.

Old 04-07-2004, 05:47 PM
gorilla
Amateur

Oscar,
I received your email. Hey man, don't wait for the appointment contact them now. I belong to another website Dodgetalk.Com/. There are many other customers having the same problem.[:@]

Old 04-09-2004, 03:53 AM
Palm
Professional

My Hemi is as smooth as silk and makes no abnormal noises at all. The only difference in the sound of it and the 5.9 that I had before, is the exhaust sound upon accleration, and I love that.

Apparently the noise problem is not necessarily applicable to all Hemi's.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:19 AM
gorilla
Amateur

Palm,
that is very nice. I am glad you are satisfied.

Quick Reply: Hemi 2004 noise ?????