Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

CAI - question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 05:56 PM
Aftrshck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI - question

Can someone give more information on the computer making adjustments...i have heard this a few times but many many people have disputed it...even the local dodge dealer here suggested the K&N for my truck....unless a 99 is that much different....

Old 04-02-2004, 08:09 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CAI - question

Read my post on this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/tm.asp?m=24076

Old 04-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Aftrshck
Veteran

that is cool thank you...however I have a NON-hemi and everything seems to revolve around the hemi....I want stats on an older set up....I do know a bit about engines...but no one can give me any 3rd party studies as to the effects of the aftermarket filters. I did notice that you, at the end of that post, decided that you would push the amsoil filter, and further looking at their page it shows how they are so much better then even the K&N....now I am an amsoil fan for my 2 stroke and 4 stroke off-road machines...but I am seeing the same hype that other manufacturers are giving....can ANYONE give me straight up stats?? PLEASE???

Old 04-02-2004, 09:51 PM
sgbofav
Professional

ORIGINAL: Aftrshck

that is cool thank you...however I have a NON-hemi and everything seems to revolve around the hemi....I want stats on an older set up....I do know a bit about engines...but no one can give me any 3rd party studies as to the effects of the aftermarket filters. I did notice that you, at the end of that post, decided that you would push the amsoil filter, and further looking at their page it shows how they are so much better then even the K&N....now I am an amsoil fan for my 2 stroke and 4 stroke off-road machines...but I am seeing the same hype that other manufacturers are giving....can ANYONE give me straight up stats?? PLEASE???
My advice from the other thread:
Now, those that have the venerable 5.2/5.9 with the small air box/filter, will notice better gains when switching to a larger filter or an intake system.

I wasn't pushing the Amsoil filter, although I do use them in my Dakota and Oldsmobile. Look at dirt bike filters. For the past 30 years, they have used an oil foam type similar to a flowzair. Their is a reason for the use of oiled foam versus the pleated design, it's called better filtration.

I read posts where forum members claim the addition of a K&N drop-in has increased their mileage and their power. On the other hand, I read posts where there where members reported zero mpg gains and they dynoed a HP loss when using K&N drop-ins

I noticed a big difference in performance when I built my intake for my Ram. The filter I used was an S&B pro-flow which is a far better filter than a K&N.

Bill,

Old 04-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Aftrshck
Veteran

thank you for clearing that up....what vehicle is that picture of?? and what all did you do and how much did it cost to "build your own?" I have been contemplating it myself....just having a heck of a time finding the bonnet off of a dakota or durango for my 5.9...if you have other suggestions...im happy to hear....

Old 04-02-2004, 10:11 PM
sgbofav
Professional

ORIGINAL: Aftrshck

thank you for clearing that up....what vehicle is that picture of?? and what all did you do and how much did it cost to "build your own?" I have been contemplating it myself....just having a heck of a time finding the bonnet off of a dakota or durango for my 5.9...if you have other suggestions...im happy to hear....
That's my 94 Ram. I bought the air hat and S&B filter from www.360airintakez.com . Total cost for my project was $125.00 . This is because of the expensive air-hat and filter.

More pics:

Bill,

Quick Reply: CAI - question