Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

MIL Again!!! Any Ideas For A Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 03:46 AM
Jim31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIL Again!!! Any Ideas For A Fix?

I have an 03, Q/C 4x4 (4.7L) with 23,000 miles. I've owned the truck since late December (03) and I'm dealing with the MIL for the fourth time. The code is always P0440. The first return was was to the Jeep dealer who sold the truck, they SUPPOSEDLY sent the truck to their affiliate Dodge dealer for a diagnosis. The Jeep dealer's feedback was "Dodge couldn't find a cause so the computer was reset". The second return was directly to the affiliate Dodge dealer whose counter Rep reported "I've never seen your truck and oh by the way, the gas cap was loose". The cap wasn't loose when I replaced it previously but I do have three young sons. Anyway, the cap isn't loose now and the MIL is on. There was one other time when the MIL activated and I removed the negative battery cable just to see what whould happen. The light stayed off for about a week. Has anyone dealt with a 4.7L with a recurring MIL activation? If so, how did you fix it? The Dodge service counter Rep told me the problem could be a leak in the connections between the filler neck and the fuel tank. Maybe so, but at this point I'm beginning to think this will be a perpetual problem until the warranty expires. Thank you in advance.

Old 04-04-2004, 04:50 AM
Aftrshck
Veteran
Default RE: MIL Again!!! Any Ideas For A Fix?

Personally I would push and push on this one...I am assuming that it is under warranty?? Do not let them push you around if it is...

Old 04-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Jim31

Aftrshck,

I'm a retired military guy and from habit I work the chain of command. I accept that correctly diagnosing computer and vacuum problems can be difficult. Both dealer's service Reps have had one try apiece - the Dodge Rep is coming up on two. Should this return not resolve the problem I'll see the "leadership". I'll also request the paperwork from the Jeep dealer's referral to Dodge (which I suspect didn't happen anyway) and then see the owners. Our town is not large and neither are the dealerships so the trip to the top is not very far.
I'm hoping that other members of this site can offer insite that will help me detect nonsense from the service Reps.

Jim

Old 04-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Vader
Champion

Jim,

Don't let this drop. The Evap System performance code is a tricky one. The first thing the dealer will tell you is it's your gas cap. If you have a local Autozone, have them reset your MIL, they will do it for free. If it comes if the MIL comes back on. BRING IT BACK AND TELL THEM YOU WANT IT FIXED NOW. If the Dealer is a 5 star, threaten to call The Dodge Corporate HQ and log an official complaint. This will jepordize the 5 Star rating.

I am sure you paid near 30,000.00 for this Truck. Tell them to repair it properly or take it back. Be loud so other customers can hear you. Ask the service rep what he would do if he had your Truck. BE RELENTLESS AND DON'T BACK DOWN. Call the Better Business Bureau and the Attorny Generals office.

Old 04-04-2004, 11:39 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Also for a further extreme measure. See If you state has a "Lemon Law". Being military and bought vehicles in a few states I can't rememeber what state it was, but they had a 3 strike your out LL.

Old 04-04-2004, 11:47 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

A "Letter to the Editor" of my city newspaper got quick results on my lemon Chevy...[sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 04-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Jim31

All,

Thank you for taking time to reply. I started the process of contacting management and have informed both dealerships that both the MIL problem and the service have been outlined in this forum. I'll keep you posted. Again, thanks

Jim

Old 04-05-2004, 02:36 AM
Vader
Champion

Jim, Definatley keep us posted. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2004, 02:38 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, someday, we may all have a problem like this...(again)...[:'(]

Old 04-05-2004, 03:21 AM
Aftrshck
Veteran

I wish you luck man...I know from experience....the last thing a dealer wants to do is work on a car....they will tell you crap to get you to leave....i have had 2 vehicles returned under the lemon law....one being a dodge....and I will tell you it was a nightmare to get to that point.....

Quick Reply: MIL Again!!! Any Ideas For A Fix?