Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

MIL Again!!! Any Ideas For A Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 04:45 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MIL Again!!! Any Ideas For A Fix?

allow me to clarify a few things--having your check engine light on 3X does not qualify as a lemon law item. It has to come on 3X for the same code and as a result of the same failure which has been attempted to be repaired. 2ND, who thinks we don't want to work on a vehicle, news flash if we don't do any work we don't get paid. Even if it is warranty work, Chrysler still pays the dealership for fixing their problems. 3RD don't be too hard on them, whatever trade you are in, imagine the very worst part of your job and multiply it 10X, thats how much chasing P0440 series codes sucks. Sometimes they are literaly impossible to find, and 9 times out of 10 it is the customer leaving the gas cap loose, so you can see why it would be real easy to assume that if no other problem was easily identifiable. Standard practice is to blow the customer off the first time with a clearing of the fault and tightening the gas cap.It is too much of a waste of everyones time to perform a full evaluation on every vehicle with that fault when it almost always turns out to be the same thing. we get at least 3 a day for that code and maybe 1 a week needs repair. Just some insight into the inside of dealership workings.

Old 04-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Jim31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dodgemech,

Okay, your note provides point-counterpoint which is good. From the business side of the service counter I would not argue the facts of what you write. I am curious to know though, from a mechanic's perspective how many of the customers with loose gas caps return their vehicles for a P0440 indication with - a loose gas cap? I would guess there is at least one but generally speaking? Of the 15 or so a week that you see, how many are returns with a loose gas cap?

In my situation I learned on this forum that a loose gas cap can trip a P0440 notification. That was the reason I reset the computer on my own by removing the battery termnal. If I made a mistake, time would tell. I don't leave my gas cap loose. Was I in a position to argue with the Service Rep whose Tech found a loose gas cap? Nope, that's pointless. I can however think of several ways to explain a loose gas cap, if it really was loose. Some of those explanations could start in my own driveway with one of three sons - I doubt that's the case but nothing they do surprises me. Another explanation would be two mechanics/Techs working on my truck and not talking to each other: "Hey, my shifts over, gotta go man" or the boss pulls Bob to work on another job so Joe takes over and doesn't talk to Bob. The possibilities are endless.

Anyway, so the mechanic or Service Rep faces a challenge with a P0440, thats a fact. Does either really think its convenient for me to bring my truck back (a third time) especially for a loose gas cap? This is a bad situation for everyone.

Other than loose gas caps, what other problems have you seen that cause recurring P0440 indications? How did you fix those?

Again, everyone, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Old 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Vader
Champion

Dodgemech. Well said (written). However not every dealership shares your professional attitude. If there were more people like you that could express the difficulties behind this, it might ease the tension felt but the costumer.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:59 AM
Aftrshck
Veteran

I agree....if ALL mechanics and dealerships actually did care....I am thinking there would be far fewer unhappy vehicle owners in the world...I for one fought with dodge for 2.5 months over one situation....they finally took care of it....however the amount of time i spent fighting is worth time...just as theirs is....i never got paid for my time....see my point???

as far as the checkengine light coming on.....if it is under warranty...i expect the dealership to take care of it.....i was a mechanic and i know the troubles that surround searching for the preverbial needle in a haystack....but...to blow off a customer....that to me is wrong.....

dodgemech...if you are that sincere as to how you do business...you will be a VERY succesful man....i wish ya luck.....PEACE

Old 04-06-2004, 04:43 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, of the vehicles that do return with in fact a problem, many times it simply a faulty gas cap. The fuel cap is built to vent in the event too much pressure builds in the evap system, sometimes that vent goes out and vents all the time. It is a simple test that can be performed by any shop with emissions testing equipment. The other part that gets replaced more than it should is the evap purge solenoid, if it sticks open when the PCM sees it closed it will fail the LDP test. Again that is also a fairly simple test for any dealer.---Thanks aftrshck, I do alright, it is sometimes tough with flatrate incentives---buy the kids new stuff or fix the customers vehicle the right way. My CSI scores are always 100% as is my FFV score-our dealership has had the highest rating in the zone for years. I know that not all dealerships are as concerned with the customer as we are but I like to think most are. If you really can't find a good shop where you are come to the Bay Area-CA---I'll fix you up.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Jim31

Dodgemech,

Great Info, thank you. I'm not a mechanic but I can understand the logic of replacing a faulty gas cap. Regarding the evaporator purge solenoid, well I'll just accept that if it's not working correctly then problems will follow and one of those problems may be a recurring MIL.

I'm not gunning for these two dealerships, I'm simply looking for one or both to identify an individual who will work this through with me. I believe this can be the big MIL challenge and the mechanics don't like to see P0440 any more than I do. I can be patient if I know the other guy is really working to fix the problem. Now neither dealer's service counter Reps will win awards (from me) for friendliness - especially the Jeep dealer's, but I can understand how working the service counter could make anyone cranky . But little things like receiving some schedule priority for this recurring problem would go a long way toward communicating real concern for customer service. Anyway, I'm rambling. Once again - thank you. You've all been a big help.

Jim

Quick Reply: MIL Again!!! Any Ideas For A Fix?