Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 03:55 AM
94ram4x4 5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case

I have a question about my transfer case. It is a stock unit and i was wondering if anyone could tell me why i am now unable to shift from 4L to N while the truck is running. It shifts from 4H to 2H just fine, but will grind and not let me shift from 4L to N. any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanx,
Ryan (Edmond,Ok)

Old 04-06-2004, 02:31 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transfer Case

When you say running, are you refering to being in motion, or just the engine running?. I have always had to be stopped with the tranny selector in neutral to shift in and out of 4L. I pull it quickly and it rarely ever grinds. You might change out the ATF for new fluid. It takes about 2 quarts.

Bill,

Old 04-09-2004, 03:27 AM
94ram4x4 5.9
Professional

no, i am sorry i didn't make that clear. With the engine running at a complete stop with the motor idled down, the shift from 4L to N will not go smoothly. I talked to a drivetrain shop and they said that it was very common and that my stock transfer case would not last much longer because it is chain driven. Thank you for your input though...
thanx, ryan
Edmond, OK

Old 04-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Gadv

I had mine in a tran shop for the same thing. The tech said its nothing to worry about. The rare time I use 4L, shift with the engine off.

Old 04-19-2004, 04:05 AM
94ram4x4 5.9
Professional

Yeah I found out the same thing when i spent 600 bones to have all the bushings and the passenger side axle replaced on the front dana 44. What a mess!!!! I later found out when i went to the sand dunes this weekend to ride my 4-wheeler, my truck got stuck in the sand because evidently my 4-wheel drive isn't working......i know it has to do something with the vacuum lines that activate the 4x4 system....i have replaced part of the old brittle plastic vacuum lines, but i guess i will call the place who fixed my axle and see if they can tell me what might be wrong( they pulled my transfer case cover off and put a bead of silicone around it because it was leaking when i had it in the shop last week)...just to fill everyone in!

Crazy how after all this trouble, i'm still proud to drive a dodge!!=)
Ryan

Quick Reply: Transfer Case