Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Truck washin'

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:18 PM
imracerx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Truck washin'

Check out www.autopia.org Great tips there on keeping everything nice and pretty....

Old 04-13-2004, 01:45 AM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 04-13-2004, 02:55 AM
gorilla
Amateur

Yea, coming out of a Ford F-150 the wash thing is much different on the Ram 1500. I totally agree that the vehicle in certain areas is hard to reach. I like the idea of one of our writers (member) who stated that he uses a stepladder. I think I will do the same, but I will ladder into the truckbed to do the top. I can reach the rest o.k. I am 6'0 and shrinking. I do enjoy washing this bad boy, kind of a pride thing.

Re: the wax. I have started using "Wet products". Very impressive, quick and easy to use. Once I have the vehicle lustered the way I want I "red dust" mop it a couple of times a week and wash it maybe three. Depending on where it was parked (smile). I do try to keep it looking good. I like the compliments I receive from passerbys. Many times owners of Fords, GMC's and Chevy's will mad dog me with envy. "Miss Lady", which is the name of my truck, gets a lot of attention.

Old 04-17-2004, 09:46 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, the Mr Clean works very well. Just be aware that the original box you buy only has enough soap and filter for a couple of washes, and a refill of both for "10" more washes will run around $10. So figure a dollar to wash your car, not counting the purchase price of the sprayer/gun (about $20)...[sm=smiley14.gif]

Old 04-18-2004, 04:21 PM
RcBandit28
Captain

I detail cars for a living.....at a Dodge Dealer. Wash rams constantly.... I have an actual car was machine that does it all for me! But No i've never dented on up like some people claim the lot jockeys do at the dealers! lol. But I do drive a Ram, that I REFUSE to put through the machine. I wash the roof from the bed of the truck......and a 5 gallon bucket works well for the windshield. I stand 6'1" so I usually have no problem getting to the entire hood.
The detailing clay should take care of the rough spots on the hood. Then go back over it with a nice polish, I use some professional wax on my truck that you guys probably have never herad of that I get at my dealership....good stuff.

Old 04-19-2004, 01:03 PM
sreitz

Just wanted to post my results. I tried the detailing clay to get rid of the rough feeling on my hood. Worked like a charm. The whole truck feels like a piece of glass now. That stuff rocks. Hope it never rains again. But then theres the pollen......stupid stupid pollen.

Old 04-20-2004, 05:32 PM
B][GT
Professional

Ok.. since i havent cleaned a vehicle by hand since .. i was 18.. all i can say is.. Daaaaaaaamn.. thats alot of work. Now, i started of with the handy space gun from Mr.Clean, nice lil riggen that baby is, i ran outa soup 2/3's of the way thru the truck LOL, my fault for overspraying the soap. Now, i was using a wash mitt, over a sponge, and i noticed that theres not swirls in the paint, but swirls on the paint.. i think i didnt rinse the truck enuff before i started to wash with the mitt so i was smearing it around . Sigh.. silly me. Easlily fixed for next time, (later today). Also, the 20's .. eek what should i use to clean them? a sponge and soap? The rubber is easy with Spray 9, i love that stuff, but these rims things are new to me. Those and the sport grill are all the shinny things on the truck, well and badges. I remeber seeing a show and they use Zoop sealer? ( http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp ) That is.. if my rimes are aluminum [sm=smiley29.gif]

I think thats all for now.. ive got to clean the interior now.. but thats easy since its still new.. just some soap and water.. right? yes no? Im so paranoid ill hurt my baby. Im open to any and all suggestions. Ive sorta been paticular to Mothers and now im also looking at Meguirs ?spl?.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the rambling post.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:12 PM
klamen

I just got my '04 Hemi SB last week, washed it three times already (rained that night each time, gotta love that). I've been using a 5-gallon bucket for the middle of the windshield, and standing in the bed for the roof. Thought about going with the Mr. Clean, but I can see that getting expensive. I've been using the RainX wash & wax, and love the results. I also use a chamois to dry, leaves no water spots or streaks at all.

Last Dodge I had was my ol' Hemi'd Cuda in high school, and it feels good to have the "pride" back to where I want this looking it's best. Traded in my '99 Accord on this truck purchase. Hate the gas mileage, but going to get a tonneau cover to help with that a little.

Two nights ago, had a gal pull up next to me at a light with a newer F150. She yelled over "that's a sweet phat boy!" I had to explain to my wife in the passenger seat that I was smiling so big because of her comment, not because of the gal

Old 05-07-2004, 05:57 AM
Offroad Hemi
Rookie

It amazes me that people buy a REAL truck, then complain about something as trivial as having to get a ladder to wash it. You could have gotten a Neon, they are easy to wash.

Old 05-07-2004, 06:08 AM
rapacious916

hey yall really like that mr. clean stuff?...i never used it but i am very cautious when washing the dodge...if it works that great i will have to pick one up...

I too have had rough spots on my paint but not on the hood...the entire back half of the dodge was not glassy smooth like the rest of it...it feels like little specs are all over the paint and if you take your fingernail u can scrape some of it off...but u cant see the specs...not sure if this is how your hood feels but if so and u do find a way to smooth it out let me know please...peace fellas

Quick Reply: Truck washin'