Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

02 Ram Upgrades, where to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 08:44 PM
jem3650
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Ram Upgrades, where to start

I have an 02 Ram and I already have a K&N Intake on my 4.7L. What is the next best upgrade to do, as far as exhuast, chip, etc. in order. Also, what manufactuers are the best as far as modifications go. Where's the best place to buy performance mods for our trucks, having a hard time finding some places. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-12-2004, 11:36 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Default RE: 02 Ram Upgrades, where to start

I'm in the same boat as you.(02 4.7) I also have done the K&N. Wednesday I will be putting on my "Redneck" exhaust (glasspack aka "Cherry bomb"). I figure I go this route, since eceryone else is getting the flowmaster, borla etc exhausts. This way its only goning to cost me $50 to try. I like more power but more interested in the gas mpg for now. Truck payments are a killer hahaha. I am also going to a metal fab place and having 3.5" thin wall pipe bent up to replace the "air muffler" with the 4.7L on it. As for brands sounds like a good poll question, hmm lets see if i can make one. Seem to me that flowmaster, borla and magnaflow are the hot brands. Air intakes are voliant, K&N and Airaid. Also I dont know if you have a tonneau cover, there is a company at www.checkerpro.com that is a factory outlet. They have soft & hard covers and bed rugs and mats DIRT CHEAP. I have the soft clampon and I paid $157 to my doorstep. The carpeted bedrugs are like $150. I havent heard much about programmers or chips. I also have heard that people are either hot or cold about the throttle body spacers. Either that its a waste or money or that WOW. I have a friend with the 5.9 and he swears by it. I havent heard many putting on headers either. Well have fun!

Old 04-13-2004, 01:28 AM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 04-13-2004, 12:30 PM
gotsnow?

I'm putting on my 77 series today, even though it's drizzling out!!My wife thinks i'm crazy!!If the results are good i'll put one on her '03 durango!It's got the 4.7 also, but can barely breath.

Any stupid tips on CAI install, looks fool proof, but you never know!?

I'm waiting for my stock exhaust to go before I add aftermarket, but thats next.

Old 04-13-2004, 01:48 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

As for the CIA. One thing is that if the filter isnt protected from engine heat you probably be doing more harm than good. The Voliant system seems to be a popular one, especially with the air ram attachment. The only thing with it is you have to remove a fog light. Also the ones with metal tubes have a tendency to get and stay hot, again power loss. You can get the insulating wrap for those. The plastic tubes have the best heat barrier properties.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:49 AM
jem3650
Rookie

Yes, my intake is the K&N 77 series. Didnt notice much of a difference, some but not alot. Definitely not worth the $270

Old 04-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 04-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Redhawk996
Rookie

I have an '02 4.7 with the Volant. It made a noticeable increase in off-the-line accel and helped out through the RPM range. Be warned! this thing is noisy when your foot is in it....

Old 04-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Rat

exhaust (glasspack aka "Cherry bomb"). I figure I go this route, since eceryone else is getting the flowmaster, borla etc exhausts. This way its only goning to cost me $50 to try. I like more power but more interested in the gas mpg for now. Truck payments are a killer hahaha. I am also going to a metal fab place and having 3.5" thin wall pipe bent up to replace the "air muffler
I also have the Volant system. Noticeable increase in torque. The noise doesn't bother me as the Gibson exhaust more than makes up for it

My brother (who is a Dodge/Jeep mechanic) said the next step after CAI and exhaust is a chip. That said, I can't find one...if anyone knows a manufacturer let me know. Also, I've heard positive things about the 4.7L Cams they offer to upgrade the Liberty, but I don't know anyone who's actually installed one.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: 02 Ram Upgrades, where to start