Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

What differential fluid should I use when towing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 01:17 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What differential fluid should I use when towing?

[sm=smiley36.gif]

Man I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

[sm=smiley36.gif]

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2004, 02:11 PM
sgbofav
Professional

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

Here's how it works.

I just put Amsoil 10w-30 in my classic 1969 Dodge Coronet. The first time I drove it, the oil started leaking from every seal on the engine. I'll never use Amsoil again. It's way to expensive, and Mobil 1 never leaked out of the engine. Now somebody will post this where they don't like the products your pushing.

Sad but true.
Thank a sponsor for the free website you enjoy. I don't see Exxon Mobil advertising here. If I share a positive experience with Amsoil (which is a better oil), according to you I'm pushing the product.

Well Mobil 1 fan, here is the opinion from an expert:

Originally posted by Terry:
I'm not impressed with M1 in its current OTC form new or used, regardless of drain interval.

By the way that M1/XOM formula has changed at least 4 times in the last 48 months. Which Mobil1 are you all discussing ? Which country / regional formulation ?

In general I see better results with Schaeffers 5w-30 7000 Blend in Passenger car applications than any basic M1 formulation in drains of 12,000 miles or less. Much cheaper too.

I base that not on snappy and vague math formulas but interpreting thousands of oil analysis results.
Who is Terry Dyson? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/terry.html

Here is just one example of a car leaking from Mobil 1:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=1;t=004711

Old 04-19-2004, 04:00 PM
moparturd
Banned

Once again, thanks for the link.[sm=smiley32.gif] Please see 2 posts back for the response.

This still doesn't prove a thing, other than Dyson provides a service, but at this point I assume he, or someone working for him does have some credible background for analyzing oil and other fluids. You know, like a chemistry degree and probably a mechanical engineering degree or something comparable.

I take everything I read (internet wise and mass media) with a salt shaker full of salt. To many opnions and unfounded facts. Statistics can be manipulated to serve the purposes of whatever stand you choose (one of the first topics of discusion in college level statistics).
It's a matter of interpretation.

Bottom line is you can't prove to me that amsoil is better than Mobil 1. My family has used both, and haven't benefited from the use of amsoil.

Sorry my opinion and experience differs from yours. You obviously don't like someone talking about any other lube than the one you use and sell/promote.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:04 PM
sgbofav
Professional

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

Once again, thanks for the link.[sm=smiley32.gif] Please see 2 posts back for the response.

This still doesn't prove a thing, other than Dyson provides a service, but at this point I assume he, or someone working for him does have some credible background for analyzing oil and other fluids. You know, like a chemistry degree and probably a mechanical engineering degree or something comparable.

I take everything I read (internet wise and mass media) with a salt shaker full of salt. To many opnions and unfounded facts. Statistics can be manipulated to serve the purposes of whatever stand you choose (one of the first topics of discusion in college level statistics).
It's a matter of interpretation.

Bottom line is you can't prove to me that amsoil is better than Mobil 1. My family has used both, and haven't benefited from the use of amsoil.

Sorry my opinion and experience differs from yours. You obviously don't like someone talking about any other lube than the one you use and sell/promote.

No, you don't like anyone talking about Amsoil.

I can feely talk about Amsoil just as you can freely promote or talk about Mobil 1. If I was trying to sell Amsoil, I would be posting a link to either one of my websites to get business.

Yes this is a link but, it is about as unbiased as you can get regarding Mobil 1 versus Amsoil. They drove 18,000 miles on M1 testing it every 1000 miles. They are currently testing Amsoil. So far Amsoil has 50% better wear numbers but the oil test results don't matter to you because Amsoil is doing better than m1. http://oilstudy.spacebears.com/

6000 mile comparison!
M1 Amsoil
Aluminum 6 3
Chromium 2 1
Iron 26 13
Copper 105 65
Lead 11 7
Tin 4 2

If you think Terry is unqualified or biased, ask him tdyson@argontech.net . His credibilty would go out the window if he was not impartial. He frequently tests products for two different companies and his comments are based on actual test data, not biased opinons.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:51 PM
moparturd
Banned

I found one major problem with the last link http://oilstudy.spacebears.com/ showing results for the numbers you provided. The mobil 1 was the first oil run in the engine starting at 9,939 miles, while the amsoil was run in the engine starting at 30,976 miles. My point here is that the engine was still breaking in, or loosening up, while the amsoil had the benefit of being tested after the vast majority of the loosening-up process has occurred. Simply put. The lower mileage on the engine = more metal from engine wear than an older engine.

I don't feel this supports your claims very well. From the little I've looked at data, they did the best they could, but still falls short of what would be considered good science.

An objective, unbiased, scientifically sound test would occur with new like engines, run under the same conditions, for the same amount of time. Anything short of that carries little weight.

I would be more interested in seeing the results from another test in a similar engine running the amsoil before the others. I'll give the testers credit for trying, but with limited resources, well.

[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-19-2004, 07:25 PM
sgbofav
Professional

I will concur that the higher numbers may be attributed to break-in. If this is the case, it proves that an engine will still break-in while using synthetic oil.

That is as close to real world results as I could find. A head to head Amsoil vs Mobil 1 contest using identical engines run through a torture test, broken down an measured for wear would be nice. Mobil 1 used to advertise 25,000 mile oil change intervals also.

We agree to disagree

Old 04-19-2004, 11:04 PM
moparturd
Banned

Agreed. That was fun. I sincerely hope you enjoyed it as well. Thanks.[sm=smiley20.gif]

To all who may have been following this, I don't have anything against the performance of Amsoil. I have never had any negative experiences with it, or any other synthetic motor oil. I have used both in the past with equal results.

As with so many things in our lives, we simply make the best choice we can make according to our experiences and knowledge at that time.

Good luck with all lifes choices.[sm=smiley1.gif]

Old 04-19-2004, 11:08 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well put....[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-22-2007, 01:28 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several folks mentioned the friction modifier for Posi rearend. My '04 2500 has posi but the dealer and the manual say no modifier is necessary? Seemed strange to me, and I just changed it today (put in dealer supplied Mopar stuff) and it has a bit of "slip" to it now that it did not have?

Is modifier needed or not?

Thanks

Quick Reply: What differential fluid should I use when towing?