Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

What differential fluid should I use when towing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 05:38 AM
02DodgeRam1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What differential fluid should I use when towing?

I am towing daily with my 02 Ram 1500 4.7L V8 and I was told to use a different diff fluid. Which should I use? Also should I go to synthetic? Let me know guys thanks!

Old 04-15-2004, 02:33 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What differential fluid should I use when towing?

I think the fluid the dealer sells is synthetic. You can get Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in the proper weight, just make sure you use the friction modifier from the dealer if you have a limited-slip differential.

Old 04-15-2004, 06:33 PM
02DodgeRam1500

Oh ok thanks for the reply. I was wondering what weight to use also. And how do I tell if mine is LSD or not?

Old 04-16-2004, 12:41 AM
moparturd
Banned

If you have the window sticker it would tell you whether or not the rear is limited slip/anti spin/trac-lock. There is a sticker in my glove box that also lists the options on my truck (04), it would say there as well. As far as the weight, you probably want to stay with the recommended weight (in your owners manual) and just follow the severe duty schedule for changing your fluids.

Old 04-16-2004, 04:00 AM
Palm
Professional

I don't know about the Ram for sure, but I previously owned an 02 Dakota and the manual instructed one to change the diff oil to synthetic if the vehicle was used for towing. If your truck has the owners manual, I would let it advise me about this.

Newer Rams come with synthetic oil from the factory.

Old 04-18-2004, 02:41 PM
sgbofav
Professional

Stay away from Mobil 1 gear lube. I have read about several Dodge Ram owners who had seal leaks as well as diff failures because they used Mobil 1 gear lube. I'll provide links if you think i'm BSing.

Amsoil gear lube is lifetime warranty and it already has the friction modifier included. I tow regularly with my Ram and the SAE 75w-90 works just fine.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:59 PM
moparturd
Banned

Not true. You can write whatever you want to promote your product and line your pockets. (He's an amsoil dealer.) I've run it in my 69 Coronet, my 01 Dakota QC, 96 Neon, an 82 Mirada drag car. We NEVER had a seal leak, or differential failure. Show us some more "marketing hype". [sm=smiley21.gif]

Old 04-19-2004, 12:46 AM
sgbofav
Professional

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

Not true. You can write whatever you want to promote your product and line your pockets. (He's an amsoil dealer.) I've run it in my 69 Coronet, my 01 Dakota QC, 96 Neon, an 82 Mirada drag car. We NEVER had a seal leak, or differential failure. Show us some more "marketing hype". [sm=smiley21.gif]

Here is the proof about Mobil 1 gear lube.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21562

post #2
I ran mobil 1 in boths diffs and it was a mistake. Both front axle seals leaked and my rear diff ate a pinion bearing. Switch back and both front axle seals stopped leaking. After I rebuild my rear diff, synthectic will never be in it again
He uses Mobil 1 for all of his fluids. He regrets using the gear lube.

Another

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/...hlight=mobil+1

I switched to Mobil 1 gear lube a little while back. In decemember the rear end started to howl. Now the pinion has play in it. Well I talked to my friend who switched to mobil 1 around the same time I did. This was the first time since December I spoke to him. He told me his rearend of his 2WD stock s10 was howling. He checked the pinion nut and it was loose. He told me to go and check mine. Guess what? The nut was loose. Im sure this is just a coincidence that this happened, but 2 trucks with stock rear ends that havent been modified and it happens. Call me crazy, but Im not running Mobil 1 in my diffs anymore. I figure its about a $1000 error.
I won't ever use Mobil 1 products........again.

In my old 93 Dakoa 4x4 I changed the ATF in the tcase once a year, or so. I usually used Amsoil ATF and have had zero problems with it. One time, I decided to use Mobil 1 ATF. After that fluid change, I could not keep the NP231 tcase to stay in 4HI. I would put it in 4HI and give it some gas and the lever would pop right back out. Typically, I couldnt even get the lever to stay up in 4HI just at idle. I thought that with 125,000 miles on the tcase, there was some internal parts wear that needed work. I was quoted anywhere from $200-$700 for the tcase work.

I did not have the money so I decided to try a good tcase fluid flush. I thought maybe some larger metal particles were stuck somewhere. I drained the tcase and let it drain overnight. I then filled it up with Amsoil ATF, and let this ATF drain right back out overnight. I then refilled it once again with Amsoil ATF and the tcase shifted simply awesome. No more problems at all. To this day the stock tcase has 170,000 miles on it with no more issues and it has never been opened up.

Old 04-19-2004, 11:18 AM
moparturd
Banned

Thanks for the links, again. Simply the opinion of another person who may, or may not have a clue as to what's going on. Too, that was one person in the whole thread who had a compliant. Come on.[sm=smiley32.gif]

Here's how it works.

I just put Amsoil 10w-30 in my classic 1969 Dodge Coronet. The first time I drove it, the oil started leaking from every seal on the engine. I'll never use Amsoil again. It's way to expensive, and Mobil 1 never leaked out of the engine. Now somebody will post this where they don't like the products your pushing.

Sad but true.

Old 04-19-2004, 12:58 PM
sreitz

I used Amsoil in my engine. The next day oil started leaking out all the gaskets. Then my Truck developed a shimmy at 55 mph. Later that day my engine light started blinking, my mirrors fell off, my girlfriend dumped me and my dog died. I'm never using Amsoil again!

Quick Reply: What differential fluid should I use when towing?