Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Buying new ram-need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 11:22 PM
blakehodges83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying new ram-need help!

Okay, since I have last posted I have decided to NOT get a Lonestar Hemi, rather the deal on the 4.7, auto, sxt pkg. reg. cab swb. Heres the problem. The dealer that quoted me the $15,4k on this particular truck does not have one like it anymore, sold the last one this week. The 3.7 sxt pkg is available, same options just not a v8, for $1200 less. I really don't want a v6, i haven't driven one yet, but i can imagine. Well, I call around and do some e-mails and NO ONE in the dfw metroplex will match this little dealers prices. I really need to make a deal by next weekend, and I can't figure out what to do. The only dealer that even comes close is at $16,7k on any color i want. And he said he would add a few options i like in on the deal, tint,bedliner,etc. Any thoughts anyone????

The ONLY catch on the $7500 off reg. cabs is that it is in stock units only, so a dealer transfer is not an option w/ out adding alot more $$$

Old 04-18-2004, 12:41 AM
Rat
Default RE: Buying new ram-need help!

Blake,

If you can get the truck you WANT, and it's in your budget, and the guy's throwing in stuff you're going to buy anyway...I suppose I don't see the problem.

That said I spend WAY too much money on vehicles.

Old 04-18-2004, 02:18 AM
blakehodges83

Well, the dodge truck i want is a lonestar hemi or 3/4ton cummins. Which its not that their not in my budget, I just always like to have a more of my budget left over for beer, etc., or savings. I don't need a fancy truck, i just want a truck, not every bell and whistle and an onboard computer that tells me which way to turn. Not dissing anybody's truck, they're all nice. Its just that for that price i get a truck that suits me fine and has a v8 thats what i think really matters. I appreciate your input, and in all reality, $1k financed for 4 or 5 years only adds up to 20-25 bucks a month. I'm just looking to see if anyone maybe in dallas/fort worth area has some good connections or knows a dealer that will match that has a decent inventory, thanks everyone. Ohhh yeah, yall need to wave your ram head flag a little. B/c I have always been ford all they way, but price figured in, and everything else. The dodge is just so much more likely to be parked outside my house next weekend!

Old 04-18-2004, 08:00 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Blake,

Usually in stock means not ordered. So a dealer trade is usually okay. I'd tell your dealer either get me the truck I want or I'm out the door. It took me two weeks to find my new 04 so I understand how furstrating it can be.

Joe

Old 04-18-2004, 12:14 PM
blakehodges83

One of the first things the salesman said to me when we started talking was that he could not trade one in from another dealership at that price. If he did have to do that he said it costs around $500-1k and would be added to the $15,4k. I don't know what i'm gonna do, i'm just getting this feeling if i can't get this truck at that price, i will end up w/ a quad cab or something thats going to cost alot more. Raise your hand if anyone else has actually done this. Start out at a dealership looking at a
"budget" vehicle that you kinda like. Then here it goes "For only twenty more dollars a month i can have this, or thirty more dollars a month i can have a heated seat. For only twenty more I can have a diesel" Well, I almost did this and caught myself before I went home w/ my butthole bleeding and a pickup financed for 6 years. That was at a Ford lot, but i'm sure you new truck buyers all went through the same thing kinda!

Old 04-19-2004, 04:35 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Well then blake as much as it hurts me to say this as a chrysler emp, I'd walk. Then see how set in stone your salesmens response was. Because he is feeding you a line of bull. Like I said it would pain me to see you buy a ford, but you gotta do what you gotta do. But it is nice to see someone not buying a hemi. I used to work at the 4.7 plant. I say used to because I got laid off due to hemi sales. But I would put the screws to salesperson first.

Joe

Old 04-19-2004, 05:19 AM
Palm
Professional

Blake,

Yes, someone else has done what you are doing. I had the same experience when I traded. What you have to do is to make up your mind what you want, and not be lead away from it. If you truly don't want all the bells and whistles, then get a truck without them. There is no end to how much money you can sink into it, theres always another option.

I believe the salesman is handing you a lot of poppycock. It doesn't cost them much at all to trade a vehicle with another dealer. It depends upon how far away the dealer is because of travel expense. I had a dealer that was going to get me a truck for an additional $800.00 but the dealer was almost 900 miles away. I declined, of course, but they said if it was within a 100 mile radius they wouldn't charge anything to get my business.
One thing I have learned from trading several vehicles, you are in the driver's seat. Tell them what you will do and stick with it. They always want to sell you something that they have in stock, that's what they are conditioned to do. Stick to your guns and walk out if necessary. I did this the last time I traded and eventually saved myself $2000.00 over the price that a dealer made me.

Above all, don't buy anything you don't want, but do buy what you want. If not, you will always be sorry.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:35 PM
blakehodges83

Palm, took your advice, found a dealer that would transfer at no fee. He is getting the truck down to $15,4k to match and throwing in a spray in bedliner and tint for only $250. And i'm getting black w/ dark interior and carpet. Hopefully signing the papers fri. night or sat. morning. I'm very satisfied now. I'll have to get my camera out and take pics when i get it!

Old 04-22-2004, 07:31 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Good for you blake, I was hoping you would still end up in a dodge!! Finding a good dealer is very hard in the mopar world. What I don't get chrysler knows most of their dealers suck but don't seem to give a rip. But let us know if the deal goes through!!

Quick Reply: Buying new ram-need help!