Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Motor oil preferences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 11:11 PM
mikebol
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor oil preferences?

Just changed my oil in the new RAM for the first time today and it got me thinking... What kind of motor oil does everone use\prefer and why? I've seen others that use AMSOil and I know it is a sponsor here. I'll probably switch to synthetic at some point but I wanted to put 9 to 10k miles on the truck first.

Thanks for all thoughts and opinions.

Mike

Old 04-18-2004, 11:13 PM
mikebol
Veteran
Default RE: Motor oil preferences?

One more thing, my truck is a QC, daily driver. I plan on towing a travel trailer about twice this year, maybe more. We may end up getting our own TT next year.

Mike

Old 04-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Ratchet
Rookie

I'm a big fan of synthetics. Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Mobil 1.

Old 04-19-2004, 01:05 AM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to wait until your engine reaches 9 to 10,000 miles before switching to synthetic oil. Even if you switched to synthetic at 500 miles, your engine will still break-in. Oil analysis testing has proven that engines still have higher "break-in" metals when using synthetic oil. The first 500 to 1000 miles are best done on petroleum oil.

Supporting Kale or Syntheticsman does support Dodgeforum and it helps support the "little guy" building a business.

He has a forum where you can post your questions. https://dodgeforum.com/tt.asp?forumid=41

Old 04-19-2004, 03:56 AM
bullitt1229
Professional

I just use plain old Castrol GTX. I know people swear by synthetics, but I don't see the sence in paying the extra $3.XX just to get synthetic. If I were racing the truck or anything like that, I would run synthetic.

Old 04-19-2004, 04:28 AM
sgbofav
Professional

ORIGINAL: bullitt1229

I just use plain old Castrol GTX. I know people swear by synthetics, but I don't see the sence in paying the extra $3.XX just to get synthetic. If I were racing the truck or anything like that, I would run synthetic.
It doesn't make sense if you change your oil every 3000 miles.

It doesn't make sense if you want to avoid:

Superior Wear Protection . . . Engines Last Longer
Improved Fuel Economy
Easier Cold Starts
Superior High Temperature Performance
Reduces Deposits on Critical Engine Parts
Reduces Oil Consumption
Lower Cost, More Convenience
Jet-Age Technology

I was a 10 year user of Castrol GTX and was just as skeptical of synthetic oil as you were. I changed my mind after reading about synthetic oils on numerous "Dodge" forums. I drove 16,400 miles/ 1 year on my Dakota without an oil change.

I drove 7000 miles and 1 year on my Ram using synthetic oil. Less cost effective but I ran cooler and got better mileage on both trucks.

Just my personal experience.

Bill,

Old 04-19-2004, 12:27 PM
moparturd
Banned

The Castrol GTX is as good as it gets with straight Dino oil. Synthetics are just a little extra insurance. If you know your keeping the vehicle for a long time or racing it, it's probably worth the extra money. I've used both amsoil and Mobil 1 and can't tell a difference in performance or gas mileage between them, but synthetics in general have been dyno proven to add a few extra HP's to the output over Dino oil. Hope this helps.

Old 04-19-2004, 02:04 PM
mikebol
Veteran

Thanks all for the replies! I'll be switching to synth the next time I rub the belly of the beast. Giving the "Grape Ape" a few extra HP and a little more MPG is certainly a good thing in my book. Plus, I plan on keeping this truck for a while; hopefully 10+ years.

Mike

Quick Reply: Motor oil preferences?