Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Oil filter too tight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 11:19 PM
mikebol
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter too tight?

I just changed the oil in the new RAM today for the first time. Already have 3400 miles on it in just over a month. I just can't stop driving this truck, I LOVE IT.

Anyway, I had a He77 of a time getting the factory oil filter off! I've changed my own oil for over 20 years and I don't remember the last time I couldn't get a filter off. I ended up crushing this thing before I was done, it was so darn tight I even closely checked the threads just to be safe. Ordinarily I put the filter on with two hands and ONLY as tight as I can get it with my hands, no wrench.

Just wondering, anyone else have trouble getting the factory filter off?

Mike

Old 04-19-2004, 12:01 AM
blakehodges83
Default RE: Oil filter too tight?

I don't know about the factory filter being tight, seeing i'm just now looking to get a new one, but I have always heard 1/2 to1-1/2 turns after hand tight when tightening the new filter. I worked at an oil change bay all through high school till I started college and thats how we were instructed to do so. I know of a few times people coming back b/c one guy that worked along w/ me just "hand tightened" it, whether it was tight, or just screwed on i don't know. I tighten it w/ a wrench and check the seal and make sure it is not plunging out. Just an opinion, but i do not trust hand tight on something i drive 75mph every day and don't change but every 3.000 miles. Just a thought, i just wondered if i am wrong?!?! Thats how my dad tought me, and how i was instructed back when i worked there.

Old 04-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Homee2010
Rookie

I just changed my oil last weekend, truck had 3200 miles after 7 months of use. I had no problem getting the filter off. 1/2 turn after hand-tight is the rule I follow, never had a problem...
Homee

Old 04-19-2004, 12:31 AM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They usually overtighten the filter on the assembly line, They don't lube the gasket with oil either. The gasket glues itself to the engine.

Old 04-19-2004, 02:50 AM
JC
Professional

ORIGINAL: sgbofav

They usually overtighten the filter on the assembly line, They don't lube the gasket with oil either. The gasket glues itself to the engine.
I had that happen to my old ford..

Old 04-19-2004, 03:52 AM
bullitt1229
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know when I changed my oil the first time I had the hardest time getting the oil fill cap off. It was torqued down so tight I had to use a jar opening device. But after I finally got it off, I lubed the oil fill cap with oil. I've only changed my oil once since then and have had no other problems.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:33 AM
Palm
Professional

I don't want to seem like a smart A here, but I have always went by the instructions with the filter. Most of them say to tighten 3/4 of a turn after the gasket first contacts the filter base. Some say one full turn after contact. I've changed mine for 30 years using these instructions without any mishaps.

Old 04-19-2004, 12:15 PM
stupidface
Professional

just torq to 15pounds and your done

Quick Reply: Oil filter too tight?