Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

20" wheel - chrome or polished?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 02:13 PM
LadyRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" wheel - chrome or polished?

Hello All,
I'm looking for some guidance. I need to replace my 20" wheel. I've attached a picture of a wheel like mine (not actually from my truck). It seems that this wheel is sold as "polished" or "chrome" and I am not sure which I have. I'm leaning toward the "polished."
I bought my 2002 truck new. I wonder if both are sold on new trucks?
Anyone familiar with this issue??
Thanks for your help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3020/Rp438740522.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-26-2004, 02:54 PM
JC
Professional
Default RE: 20" wheel - chrome or polished?

Chrome wheels are a little bit umm.. "weaker" than polished rims. However, polished rims are a pain in **** to keep clean, etc. Had a set on my old ford and hated them, so I went chrome on my dodge...

Old 04-26-2004, 04:35 PM
lawntycoon
Professional

i have had both types over the years. Alum. chrome clad are lighter dont rust......However they are a pain to keep from scratching while cleaning with a brush.the backside of the brush is what you need to be carefull of. clean with soap and water, spray a coat of wax-as- you -dry does it for me. if you choose a alum. mag cleaner be carefull that it is neutral in ph to prevent etching of your finish, And they will look good. Chrome are a bit brighter like a mirror and looks better to me than what I have ,however doesnt hide dirt and dust as well. because it loses it mirror with dust and dirt. is easy to clean and regular wax to help repell dust and dirt and rinse off with water. it just depends on your preference. I dont know about dealer costs but after- market cost are quite a few dollars btwn the two. chrome more expensive.
ps aluminum mags can break/ crack instead of bend as does steel upon inpact. (god forbid) either way the mag is done.
and I have seen both happen to other people........right! LOL hope this helps and this is only my experience not here say.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Rampart

You need to go and tap on your wheel. If it has a hollow, plastic sound the wheel is a glorified hub cap. I have the aluminum polished on my '02. I do not know for sure if the chrome is only the overmolded plastic or they actually made a true chrome wheel. If it is the chrome clad wheel it is impossible to fix the wheel if you scratch through the finish or give it curb rash.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 PM
CBR Rider 1
Amateur

I got the plastic bling baby

Quick Reply: 20" wheel - chrome or polished?