Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

95 Ram running rough after road trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 07:39 PM
rennis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Ram running rough after road trip

Greetings,

Any ideas on why my Ram would run rough after driving for extended periods? After about 200 miles it starts to run rough, especially right off of idle. One time it just about died while driving on the highway. I had to pull over and let it cool down. After driving it around for 10 minutes in a small town it returned to close to normal. It's really weird and can't figure out what's causing it. Check Engine light has not come on.

Within the last 6 months I've replaced the Cat, the O2 sensor, and the EGR valve not to long before that. Full tune up 6 months ago.

After it's driven for a day or two in town the idle returns to normal and the truck behaves well. As soon as it's back on the highway for more than 200 miles though, it runs like crap.

Any ideas?

Old 05-18-2004, 02:50 PM
rennis
Default RE: 95 Ram running rough after road trip

TTT

Old 05-18-2004, 05:14 PM
whitey
Rookie

i had an older s-10 that would do that same thing. in town it would run fine, but about a 100 miles on the road it would choke up and run bad. i found out i had a bunch of dirt in the gas tank. short slow drives wouldn't affect it. on the open road it would break up and klog the system.

Old 05-22-2004, 06:05 PM
JAG

I have a 98 Ram 1500 and I just drove it for about 2300 miles. The first day of the trip I pulled off into a small town in Wy, and man thought it was going to die. The engine sputtered really bad and did not want to get going I would give it gas and it would pass the shaking and smooth out. I kept having small isssue and could not figure out what was up, when I got to Wa state, as I exited for home, check engine light came on, had a diag run and the exhaust was the prob, was the cat. Replaced the cat and things seem ok. But I have not had it on a road trip since then.

Question if there is dirt in the fuel tank what it the process to clean the tank?

Quick Reply: 95 Ram running rough after road trip