Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Considering getting an old Ram for my first vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:20 AM
crazymjb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering getting an old Ram for my first vehicle

Hi, I am 16 and am pretty sure I want a truck for my first vehicle. I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight into whether a Ram(likely 1500) would be a good truck for what I want to do, or whether I should go with Chevy or Ford(no import trucks).

Basically I will have in the neigborhood of 4 to 5 grand to spend initially on the truck. I want an extended cab, though 4 doors isnt neccesary, and I would prefer the 5.9L engine(something from the mid to late 90s). I found this local listing for example: http://boston.craigslist.org/car/134914072.html though I will likely wait closer to summer before picking something up. The 4WD is deffinatly neccesary as I live in new england and would like to convert it somewhat into an offroad vehicle. Which leads me to my next question:

Is a Ram the best truck for lifting up and taking on some mild trails? As far as off-road modifications all I currently have in mind is a 5 inch suspension lift from a reputable company accompanied by bigger wheels and tires, and eventually a reduced axel ratio to better suit those larger wheels and tires. And of course I would put on a brush guard and roll bars after that. I also want something with decent pick up, now I am not expecting anything "incredable" but was hoping that with a little tuning, maybe an exaust and a CAI, I could get it to be somewhat quick. As far as interior goes, I would like to make it somewhat comfortable, eventually add a nice head unit with navigation(we have it on our Acura, and even before that I don't think I could really do without one, I have a horrible sense of direction. All this would, of course, happen over a period of years. So is the Ram a good durable truck, that will handle some light off roading, accept modifications, and be relativly good in the maintanance department?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 02-27-2006, 12:42 PM
stump_breaker
Captain
Default RE: Considering getting an old Ram for my first vehicle

Proabaly going to get flamed for saying this but in the years you are looking for and the money you have, I would steer away from the Dodge. I would look for a Chevy Z71 or even just a 1/2 ton 4x4 and get a Chiltons and a good tool set. The reason I say Chevy - totally IMO - in those years they are better built, have a stronger engine with the 350, easier to work on and parts are more readily available. Dodge went through a bad time and I've seen the front ends in the years you are looking at fold out from underneath them. You really want a tought truck that is easy to work on with tons of readily available parts, invest in a late 70's to early 80's Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD with the 350 or 454 and start building. IMO there is not a better truck. Of course fuel costs will be high but then that is with any truck.

If your going to lift 5" I'm assuming you are looking at some 35's. I would not hold off on the gear swap. Save up enough to do it all at once or it may cause you some issues. The impatience of youth is tough to fight but you will be better off not rushing it.

BTW, good for you wanting to learn. There ae so many 16 y.o.'s that just want mama and daddy to do it all for them. You will benefit greatly later in life.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:04 PM
GreyGhost
All Star

Before I bought my 02 Ram, I had a 1995 Ram Sport with the 5.2. The truck ran great and I never had any problems with it. The only reason that I sold it and moved to the 02 was I needed the Quad Cab for the upgrade in family members.

Yeah, the 95 was a regualr cab but it was a great truck. I'm sure it's still running great for the person that's driving it now. I sold the truck for $5,500 last Summer just to let you know. Hope that helps.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:47 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

hey man im 16 and just got my dodge about 8 months ago. id say get the dodge. i got mine for just over 3000 bucks, and hesitated cuz ive literally been savin that money since i was 11; and wanted to make sure it was worth it..... it definately is. it runs strong, has decent pick up (5.2...... beats most ricers here in NC stock) and is incredible while off roading (check out some off roadin pics on the website in my signature).... and also if your wantin to lift it, which im waitin to lift mine soon, the guys on here are a huge help-- i havent ordered my lift yet but many people on here gave me lots of advice on what to look for-

i havent regretted gettin this truck yet; im lovin it.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:07 AM
helmsa
Professional

I am going to suggest a Dodge. Growing up I was all about Fords and Yotas, but after buying my truck, I could't be happier. Dodge is the only 4x4 in a 1/2 ton (to my knowledge) that comes with a solid front axel, which if you are going to lift it, makes everything much easier. IFS is difficult, especially for tire accomodation, because you have to mess with torsion bars and whatnot. For example, my cousin has a newer Chevy 3/4 ton and with a 6" suspension lift, they had to crank the torsion bars all the way to get 35's under it. From my experience, there isn't anyting about my truck that I don't like.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:56 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

ORIGINAL: stump_breaker

Proabaly going to get flamed for saying this but in the years you are looking for and the money you have, I would steer away from the Dodge. I would look for a Chevy Z71 or even just a 1/2 ton 4x4 and get a Chiltons and a good tool set. The reason I say Chevy - totally IMO - in those years they are better built, have a stronger engine with the 350, easier to work on and parts are more readily available. Dodge went through a bad time and I've seen the front ends in the years you are looking at fold out from underneath them. You really want a tought truck that is easy to work on with tons of readily available parts, invest in a late 70's to early 80's Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD with the 350 or 454 and start building. IMO there is not a better truck. Of course fuel costs will be high but then that is with any truck.

If your going to lift 5" I'm assuming you are looking at some 35's. I would not hold off on the gear swap. Save up enough to do it all at once or it may cause you some issues. The impatience of youth is tough to fight but you will be better off not rushing it.

BTW, good for you wanting to learn. There ae so many 16 y.o.'s that just want mama and daddy to do it all for them. You will benefit greatly later in life.

I'd have to say I agree here. I'm a Dodge man, but I'd have to agree with him. The Chevys have so many more parts available, and they are cheaper too. The 5.7 is a strong engine, has more horsepower than the 5.9. You can probably find a Chevy cheaper too.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:06 PM
nascarnut
Professional

Hmmmm well I would say Dodge but make sure you have a reliable dealer around. The dealer where I live laughs at me when I aks for parts for my 92 but my grandpa seemed to have luck with another dealer. Old rams are great for first trucks because you can work on them and they are tough as nails. I bought mine over a year and a half ago when I was 16 and she's never left me stranded yet.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:49 PM
FuzzySquirrel66

As a younger person of 21 I just bought a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 reg cab with the long box. I love it I am really glad I got rid of my jeep this past summer. But in response to your question I know of a family member who did actually get stuck door pannels deep with his 95 dodge sport on a mud track and was rocking it back and forth pretty hard and finially after 40 min of it, he tore his front end out. So all I am saying is that Dodge makes a good solid truck unless the abuse is way to harsh. I've tested it out and love the mud terrain handeling Go for it dude. I will never go back to anything smaller than a 1500.

Quick Reply: Considering getting an old Ram for my first vehicle