Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Front and Rear Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:14 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Front and Rear Change

My front and rear gears are 4.10's on a 01 Dodge Ram Sport 5.9L 360 Auto. The milage is KILLING me and I dont want to part with it. Has anyone chaged there racks/pinions to a lower/larger ratio? if so, was it hard? especially the front...need some input, also where can I find a good price. The damn thing will crawl through ANYTHING but it takes damn near 40 mins to reach 60 miles an hour at 4 grand on the tach

Old 05-18-2004, 11:42 PM
B][GT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front and Rear Change

I got my front and rear gears from www.precisiongear.com/home.htm , cept i went from 3.55 to 4.56 and actually improved my gas milage. Its not hard, just time consuming, on setting up the correct dpetha dn patern on the ring & pinion. Get the full master kits for each end, these include all shims, bearings seals youd ever need, and replace them all since everything is arleady apart. If the gas mileage is killing you, are you trying to go lower, like 5.11's or, higher 3.55's? your saying lower, but.. that doesnt make sense when you read the rest of what you wrote.

Troy

Old 05-19-2004, 12:20 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

sorry... i get confused easy. your talkin to a jarhead . every one rotation of the motor i get 4.1 rotations of the tires right? so the higher (like 5.XX) (or lower, which ever) if you know more...please learn me...i have no shame.!! thanks for the advice brother

Old 05-19-2004, 04:24 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the gears alone, waste of money. I've talked to hundreds of BR/BE owners as well as my own, they ALL get 12-14. Thats it, it's not worth 1K worth of gears to increase MPG by 1 is it. Also nuemeretically higher means lower gears and results in higher freeway RPM's and vice-versa.
Semper-Fi

Old 05-19-2004, 04:52 PM
slvrmagnum
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the rear set of 3.55's out of my 2001 if you need them... They only had 20,000 miles on them when I pulled them out... $50 plus shipping if you are interested, that will save you some money and if you want to save gas. Also, if you do alot of highway driving then it will save you money on gas, if you bring those RPM's down, it will make a big difference.

Quick Reply: Front and Rear Change