Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Dodge Electrical Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 04:36 AM
grubb202
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Electrical Problems?

Hello everyone,</P>

Unfortunately someone wanted to try and get my dodge the easy way, without paying for it. I have it back but now am having many problems. I will just list the problems: no radio, no a/c blower motor, no interior lights, no elctric windows and some lights on the dash such as ABS and Air Bag? I also found a blue wire tonight that was broken off that I think goes to the air bag. It is about a 18 guage, multi strand wire. I can't figure out where it goes! When I turn the key on, you can hear the speakers BUMP like the radio wants to come on but no joy. All fuses are good, the easy stuff has been looked at, I think! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. </P>

Thanks!</P>

Old 11-11-2003, 04:40 AM
grubb202

Hello, </P>

Me again, I forgot to say that it is a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab with the durable 5.9 engine. I don't know if this will make a difference, but at this point I don't want to leave anything off, just in case.</P>

Thanks again!</P>

Old 11-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say... insurance isn't helping pay for the problems someone stealing it caused? I wouldn't even no where to start... LOL Some of the lights could be codes the engine is giving because some wires have been yanked around... Likely, you'll need to go to the dealership to get those cleared. I'd seriously say contact your Insurance company before fixing anything yourself (sometimes they don't like that) or take it to the dealership for exact diagnosis...

I don't want to spout off things to do when we are talking about your safety... if the Airbag wires are exposed... TAKE IT IN... if you are wrong... oh well... but if you are right, you might have saved your life because if the wrong airbag wire is exposed, it may go off, unless it's disabled... but I would think when we are talking about a 'broken' airbag... it might go off anyway... You know?

I hate to sound motherly... LOL!! I've worked at dealerships and I've seen an Airbag go off in the back parking lot... it went at least 50 feet in the air... it's not safe messing with the wires for the airbag.

~Amanda <edited><editID>Dodgegirl19</editID><editDate>37936.3525115741</editDate></edited>

Old 11-11-2003, 12:27 PM
grubb202

Amanda,</P>

As far as insurance goes, I have paid the truck off and only had liability on it. Single income family trying to save anywhere possible. Just gambled and lost this time I suppose. I talked to a small shop today, he suggested the ignition switch was bad, said it was kinda common. I will try this first before going to the dealer, their prices scare me! As far as the blue wire, possibly for the airbag, I will wait and talk to the dealer some more.</P>

Thanks</P>

Old 11-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree on the ignition switch... but I don't think it would cause all your problems... it seems to me whomever tried to take it was just yanking under the dask...

Dealer prices are scary... but maybe before things start, talk with the service manager and expalin the situation... maybe they can help you out on payments or something... just a thought.

I'm just scared about the air bag... I'll try and see if I can find out from my dealer about the wire... I'll post back in a few... LOL!

We are also a one income family... it's tough... so I hear you loud and clear there!

~Amanda</P>

Old 11-11-2003, 06:48 PM
grubb202

Thanks Amanda,</P>

I will keep checking back.</P>

Earnest</P>

Old 11-15-2003, 02:11 AM
andybuzz2u

<FONT size=2>How did they steal it? Broke glass/ hotwired, left keys in ignition? Took off while you were getting coffee at the 7-11 with it running? And how old were they, most car thieves 24 and under just want a joy ride. And they do the most damage. burnouts etc. But on to the subject. did you put a test light to all a/c, fan, radio, windows, mirrors to check for voltage? No matter if the fuses are good with out voltage you get nothing. I'm willing to bet they pulled the what i call master hot wire that puts juice to everything you said is not working it goes thru the wire loom to the ignition key. A cheap but time consuming way to check this is to run a hot wire from the battery and check out everyting that dosen't work, radio, windows, mirrors,etc. You never know about a thief, they may have put 2x4's in the window trying to cut them in half, chances are that with a main hot wire if it does not work then its broke. What ever you do make sure you and who ever else is helpingstays clear of the air bag while you are doing this, even if you have to lay on the carpet. Those things are a loaded shell with out the bullet. A good friend of mine lost his right eye while changing out his radio in a '98 chevy, somehow he crossed some wires and the air bag deployed with his face less than three inches from the dash. I'm old enough that i have owned cars without bags and been in a few wrecks and walked away. I got hit last summer in my wifes stratus and the bag poppin out scared me more than the wreck. If you do set it off you can cut the bag out go to a store bye some modelers glue(plastic car model) and glue the wheel or dash padsback down or spendmucho money to get it replaced. Which reminds me thats probaly what they wanted the new trend is stealing air bags, as a joke i priced one for my '03 ram drivers side 2,500 big ones from the dealer 2,100 big ones from a salvage yard( probaly stolen from somebody elses).</FONT>

Old 11-15-2003, 03:58 AM
grubb202

Well, I can tell you that it wasn't someone that was unfamiliar with the vehicle. No wires ripped out except the blue 18 guage wire (that I think goes to the airbag). My plastic around the column was torn off and my ignition switch was on the floor board. I assume that they had their own switch as the wires at the plug were not cut. I was told by a dealer near by that my problem was my ignition switch. I guess somehow they messed it up. I have ordered another one, which I hope will be here no later than Monday. As far as the bone heads that took it, they gimmied my passenger door lock. The truck was found a few miles down the road with only nerf bars, tool box and contents missing along with some loose change. Oh, and my spare tire and jack and the tool to lower the tire. I hope they have a flat and have to use it! I have also ordered a service manual which should have wiring diagrams and such. Once I get that then I will break out the multi-meter and start buggin wires out. Unfortunately I have been too busy to work on it in the last few days but plan to get after it this weekend and next week. I called a friend of the family and set up a time to bring it to him to start running fault codes and see if there might be something there too. Well, I gotta go for now. Thanks for the input! And heaven help the next theif that comes by, I got something special just for them!

Old 11-17-2003, 11:08 PM
grubb202

Hello All,</P>

I am in a wonderful mood tonight!!!!!!!!!! I got my hands on a little dodge service manual and looked at it for a few hours getting ideas as to where that pesty little blue wire goes and guess what, thats right I found it. Not only did I find that but installed my ignition switch today and WAAHOOOO!!! All my troubles have gone away! Sure feels good to be in the truck again. Luckily it was a minor set back (and not too costly either!).I think I will buy me a doberman pincher to sleep in the bed of the truck from now on though. It will be worth it not to go through that hearache and pain again. This was the second truck I have owned that someone tried to steal. The first was only 3 days old and I was at the movies. 1997 Chevy and the busted in the passenger door, but thankfully didn't get in it (had all my worhtly possesions inside). Learned my leasson about leaving money and credit cards in the car though. Thanks for everyones inputs I will be adding my own here and there!</P>

God Bless!</P>

Quick Reply: Dodge Electrical Problems?