Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Water damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 04:50 PM
dodgeram56
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water damage

i went through some water last night which i thought wasnt higher than my bumber but it turned out it went almost to the top of my hood i have a 99 ram and the engine seems to be runnign fine now but the check engine light wont go off

when i went through the water the engine sputtered and lost power i think it was missing for a little bit after that i let it sit for a while and then had to dirve it home

how do i get the light to go off and do i have any serious problems do u guys think

Old 05-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Water damage

Did it blow any white smoke...? You probably sucked water into the engine which is REALLY REALLY bad... I mean, I get that it's running better now, but if you did get water into the engine, it could be a matter of time before it blows... seriously. Check the oil dipstick... is it white or frothy? I'd change the oil IMMEDIATELY... don't drive it again before changing the oil, just to be on the safe side...

Is it doing anything else weird? Once you change the oil, take it to AutoZone and have them check the computer for codes... see what codes the computer stored and perhaps undo the battery to reset the PCM and the light...

I sucked 8 gallons into my old Sunfire once... ALMOST killed it, thank goodness I was at my Chrysler dealer... I worked there, and my friends in the service department saved my butt... LOL!!

~Amanda

Old 05-30-2004, 05:39 PM
dodgeram56
Rookie

well what happened was i went trough an underpass becuase we had alot of rain last night and i was going slow, it was only in the water for a little bit probably around 50ft of road if that

the dipstick had no white or froth no white smoke

Old 05-30-2004, 05:45 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, that's a good thing, no smoke and no froth on the dipstick... I really would still change the oil, just to be safe. Try unplugging the battery for a bit afterwards, 15 mins is good, to reset the PCM and see if the light goes off... If it doesn't then take it to AutoZone, have them check the computer codes and that'll give you a better idea of what it's being all cranky about...

Also, check the distributor cap, if it's still missing, it could be damp in there. If so, change the distributor cap and rotor, and depending on the mileage, throw new plugs and wires on her (if you do change the dis cap and rotor, that is).

~Amanda

Old 05-31-2004, 11:12 AM
Racer Rob
Veteran

Wow Amanda I am impressed

Quick Reply: Water damage