Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

1999 Ram Low beam issue...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 03:11 PM
mamm7215
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Ram Low beam issue...

Alright, I've read the other threads about these low beam issues, here's mine to the letter:
No key in ignition-light switch on-no low beams.
No key in ignition-High beam switch on-High beams on.
Key on-daytime running lights on (low beam at 50%).
Key on-High beam switch on High beams on.
Fog lights do not work with High beams on. High beams off, fog lights work. Low beams never work, only dtr lights.
Single dual-filament bulb in each main headlight module.
I also get no Parking Brake indicator on the dash when I apply the parking brake (key on). I checked the Grey/blk wire attached to the ground sw. thingy when the brake gets pushed. Seems to work but I never did a continuity test to ground so maybe the circuit never gets grounded for the main low-beams to work...
My question...do you (anyone?) think it's more likely the..
1.) Parking brake not being grounded properly (I really haven't tested this well.)
2.) Multifunction switch
3.) Day time running light module (I'm in Canada.)
This is a little frustrating because while I can see OK with the high-beams at night, I'd like it to work properly.
Thanks...
M.

Old 06-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Redhairedcwgirl
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1999 Ram Low beam issue...

Hi, my guess would be the multifunction switch, as I have a '99 and had a similar issue. Have you tried disconnecting the battery, disassembling the trim around the steering column, spraying electrical contact cleaner in the multifunction switch and then letting it dry completely? You can get the cleaner at the parts store, which you may already know I realize that if you do try this, it may take a few hours to dry completely. I don't have the Daytime lights, but that did solve my issue, versus around 50-60 bucks for a new switch. Hope this gives you some help. It's worth a try... I had that issue over a year ago, and it's still working!

Old 06-03-2004, 01:11 PM
mamm7215
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1999 Ram Low beam issue...

Thanks, I'm leaning towards it being the multifunction switch as well. I'll probably just replace the switch.
Thanks for your reply and "Nice Truck!!"

Quick Reply: 1999 Ram Low beam issue...