Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

big power for 97 dodge ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 12:09 AM
rambo97
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: big power for 97 dodge ram

ya, I agree... I have borla headers and borla exhaust, K&N Gen 2 air filter on my 97, and although it gives me a little extra HP... no where near 30+15+15=60 no where near 60 HP extra! maybe 45 altogether!

Also, for the amount of money ur gonna be spending on a good supercharger or turbo charger, and on intakes, headers exhaust, etc etc etc... maybe ud be better off goin to the junk yard and getting a big block to restore or overhaul( 396 or 454)if itd fit... or if u got some $$, buy a new Hemi, or a nice powerful new engine (LT1, if it would fit, etc) just a suggestion....

Old 06-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Mikeg1005
Professional

All this stuff is true, there is no way that your hp will go double and almost a half. I would show you the article if I could find it but there is a statement that is from a manufacture saything that testing with throttle body spacers, showed no(absoulty no)gain in hp or torque. They only help with some throttle response.

I'm 16 and I just bought my 98' Ram 1500 4x4 not too long ago, key word "when I get" ya when you get what you want you will see that the money you planned on using will seem a lot less after you begin driving, paying for gas, and realizing how much everything costs.
Not mentioning that mods like that require higher octane fuel which today is big $$$ in a big engine.

And finally what is your purpose for putting all this into a truck, I'm guessing you aren't going off roading since you have 2x4. And a truck was probably not ment to be a dragster, I'm not trying to put down your dreams but think twice about what you are thinking about.

Oh ya and not trying to be a smart @$$ but you did your math a little bit wrong, about 100hp too much there.

Thats my .02 cents
Mike.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Mikeg1005
Professional

Hey, I'm sure if everyone knew you were 14 they wouldn't have made there responses sound so harsh, all this stuff is new to you so if something sounds dumb in your opinion just ask it anyways, I'm sure we would all be happy to teach you and answer your questions.

Mike.

Old 06-08-2004, 04:16 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

Come on guys, don't be so hard on him... how will he learn? we all remember the day's when we thought all hp gains would be cumulative... then reality sets in...

Old 06-08-2004, 07:56 AM
RuckstaR
Professional

I dont see anyone being hard on anyone, I see people responding to a post with an unfortunate dose of reality. And as far as letting him learn, IMO it is waaay better for him to learn from our past mistakes and experience on here than learn though 5 g's in aftermarket mod bills that fail to produce the desired result like some fo us have. Bottom line, aftermarket manufacturers offer some of the most rediculous performance claims we have ever seen, and to sugar coat a response about them would be condescending and unnecessary. I expect people to give it to me straight, and in return I will as well. No offence meant of course.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Mikeg1005
Professional

Ya you got a good point there.

Old 06-08-2004, 05:32 PM
uawnick
Professional

Have to agree... I really dont see anyone being hard on anyone just Extremely Factual. Especially if the post is from a 14 yr old boy then it is even better to give the harsh reality of manufacturer claims that im sure you and everyone else in this thread has at one time or another were dissapointed by. If he can take anything away from this is just the opposite of being harsh, but in my opinion the most friendly thing anyone could have done....

Dont let this all discourage this though RamFan, There is no shame in 300+ hp at the wheels. Thats really not bad!! You have the right idea just not the right numbers or expectations. The Hemi Ram is only making 280 hp at the wheels.

Old 06-08-2004, 07:28 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

In my opinion i dont think n e of u r really being harsh i think ur all being factual and i just wrote down the numbers the site give me no harm done guys

Old 06-08-2004, 08:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

ok, after re-reading, maybe I read it wrong... sorry... but (maybe this was already said), it needs to be remembered that each mod will change the way the engine performs, some will add in some places & some will take away in others. The bottom line is to get it dyno'd before you start, then either dyno along the way or dyno when finished to see what the bottom line was. Another thing to mention would be to do the mods that will compliment each other... as in blower + exhaust + 52(or larger) throttle body etc. keeping in mind that the motor is just an air pump, the more it can breath the more out of you will get.

Quick Reply: big power for 97 dodge ram