Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

big power for 97 dodge ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 10:30 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big power for 97 dodge ram

Dodge ram 1500 2x4 5.9ltr 360 CID 245HP

Item +hp
Supercharger +60-65%

MAC cold air induction +22

airhogs air filter +15

Throttle body spacer +10

Computer reprogramming +21

Borala headers +30

PowerCAT catalectic coneverter +??

Flowmaster exhaust +15

Iridium plugs +1-2%

Underdrive pulleys +10

Total about 619 peak flywheel HP

And more things not adding hp

Bilstein shocks and struts

Powerslot rakes

Positraction

this is what i plan to do to the truck when i get it
does any 1 see any thing that could potentially be a problem with this or any thing i should add or upgrade so nothing bad happens

Old 06-05-2004, 01:17 AM
jamesx0
Default RE: big power for 97 dodge ram

619 hp? How does that add up? The SC won't give 60% of the hp with the mods. Also, most of those numbers are BS anyways.

Old 06-05-2004, 01:54 AM
Vader
Champion

Lots of luck to ya. Take pics and let us know of your progress.

The throttle body spacer does not work.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Racer Rob
Veteran

Yeah don't count on HP gains from the spacer, from what I have read they just help mostly with throttle response. Mine is in route now so I can't say for sure yet.

Old 06-05-2004, 05:15 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

yup will keep ya posted on it its not mine yet my dad is curently drivin it so it wunt be souped up for a while will try to find a pic or 2 of it tho

Old 06-05-2004, 05:56 PM
slvrmagnum
Professional

ORIGINAL: Racer Rob

Yeah don't count on HP gains from the spacer, from what I have read they just help mostly with throttle response. Mine is in route now so I can't say for sure yet.
Yep it is in route, and you are right, it is mostly throttle response but it does give the seat of the pants dyno approval...

Old 06-05-2004, 06:26 PM
uawnick
Professional

Advice: NEW DRIVETRAIN!!

Bottom end of motor - Crank Rods Pistons

Cam - If your going to put more fuel to the motor going to need more valve lift and duration

Ignition - Something you can retard the timing with so you dont get detonation over 10 lbs boost. Remember its detonation that blows head gaskets, not boost.

Intake Manifold - Stock "Jug" Plenum not good for air flow

Trans - Going to break

Rear Differential - Prob gonna fail as well, You may be able to get away with the stock one though

Driveshaft / U Joints - Joints Definately goint to break, but I would do a shaft too with the new rear and trans

Then you could get into the work that you could and probrably should do on the heads themselves.

Radiator, Thermostat, Fan Clutch, Little stuff like that that nobody thinks of till they need it. I would even do a WideBand O2 Sensor Setup to monitor your exact A/F Ratio (AEM Makes a really nice kit thats Pretty cheap)

Then there is the problem with the sensors and the engine codes they are going to throw as soon as the intake reaches positive pressure. Though Im not quite sure on the specifics but im sure someone here could help you with that. Thats prob an easy fix, But like I said im not really sure how that setup reacts to a supercharger.

Im sure your getting the drift now though.

Even though your numbers are Way Way off as far as HP goes, even if you do it the wrong way odds are things are one by one going to break and cost you more money than you would have if you just went ahead and did everything the right way to prevent the truck from self destructing. Dont get me wrong im mopar all the way, but lets not kid ourselves late 90's truck parts werent and still arent the strongest most durable things to use. You just cant put that kind of extra HP on a stock setup and expect it to work. Especially on a high HP high Torque motor like the one you want to build.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:32 PM
RuckstaR
Professional

I'll toss my 0.02 in here as well with regard to your predicted HP gains. The supercharger is the most legitimate horse producer on that list, but there is no way in hell your going to see 60-65% HP increases on a stock engine, regardless of what the manufacturer claims. Throttle body spacers, in my experience with gm vehicles have never done anything, certainly not to the tune of 10 HP. Now if you order a properly bored aftermarket TB you will see some gains. As far as gains from 15-22 HP from regular flowmaster exhausts and cold air intakes, that is very very VERY generous, I would guess closer to 5 for your exhaust, and maybe 10 at the most from intake. I'm not tryin to burst your bubble or anything, just save ya from some dissapointment. You're looking to double your horsepower with a couple of legite mods and then alot of Canadian Tire (I dunno what your budget car parts retailers are down in the ol US of A) bolt on stuff. Bottom line, big HP comes with BIG $$, and iridium plugs, spacers and flowmasters aint gonna do it.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:39 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriuosly, you couldn't get 619HP if you put (2) supercharged 5.9's in that truck. With all the mods you have listed you'll be lucky with 340-360HP. By the time that hits the tires you have a real world 250rwhp. Quicker than most running around but not gonna set any track records. Your biggest hurdle is gonna be the PCM, nobody does any kind of laptop tuning for Mopar, its gonna be tough to get the PCM to compensate for all the extra fuel and timing adj you are gonna need.

Old 06-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Selecter

yeah it wont work. All you are doing is throwing your money away. Put a SC on that 360 and maybe some other things that are PROVEN to work and then be happy and quit.

Quick Reply: big power for 97 dodge ram