Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Agressive Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 11:56 PM
RuckstaR
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agressive Exhaust

Hey all, there's been a ton of exhaust questions posted on here...most of them already answered however I have one that hasnt been brought up. I am leasing my truck, so major modifications are a no no, however the exhaust NEEDS to be more agressive. Because of this I want to replace my muffler, but leave my resonator near the tailpipe alone. First off, does anyone see any problem with this course of action? Secondly, to offset the resonator I was thinking about using a louder flowmaster original 40 series instead of the 50 series that is generally recomended. Does anyone see any problem with this combination? Finally, has anyone actually replaced the muffler with a more agressive one while leaving the resonator alone? Thanks Alot!

Old 06-07-2004, 02:13 PM
B][GT
Professional
Default RE: Agressive Exhaust

IVe got to ask why leave the resonator? thats the first thing i cut off my lease.. but i plan on keeping it. IN theroy that makes sense.. louder muffler and tone it down with the resonator. If you have the space around your place.. id go with a whole cat back system, and leave the stock stuff lying around, when lease is up, reinstall the stock stuff.. a pian yes..

Old 06-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Jash927

I agree with GT, it's all bolt on so it should be a piece of cake for you.

Old 06-07-2004, 03:58 PM
RuckstaR
Professional

I would prefer to leave the resonator for a number of reasons, one because an entire exhaust modification was frowned upon when i talked to my dealer, however they had no probs with muff replacement. Two, if I want to take off the resonator then I have to track down and 03 HEMI tailpipe to use instead, OR as you say, use a catback, which brings me to problem three, catbacks are a tad expensive for my likings right now, (around 600 CAN for what I want). However if my plan is gonna sound ****ty, then obviously it'l need to eb reevaluated.

Old 06-07-2004, 05:23 PM
B12Teuton
Professional

Have you guys checked out all the stuff (including name brand exhausts) that JC Whitney offers for trucks?!?

Old 06-07-2004, 08:58 PM
360Dodge

What improvments do you get from removing the resonator. And how do you remove it?

Old 06-08-2004, 01:42 AM
B][GT
Professional

Hey Ruck, when i got my res cut off.. it took 20min, and i was back on the road. You dont need to buy the tail pipe. its just a chunk of 3" pipe, and they have to rebuild the stock hanger which is mounted on the stock rez. Very simple and easy. I suppose you could keep it also, to return to stock. Same with the muffler, simple 3" in and out. Im gonna look at doing a Dynomax muffler in the next few weeks. I can grab a cam and post a pic of the rez cut out.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:01 AM
RuckstaR
Professional

Some pics of that job would be good to see, Thanks! I'm still lookin for anyone who has used a more agressive muff while retaining the resonator. Feel free to pitch in!

Old 06-08-2004, 03:03 PM
1EvilBee

ORIGINAL: RuckstaR

Hey all, there's been a ton of exhaust questions posted on here...most of them already answered however I have one that hasnt been brought up. I am leasing my truck, so major modifications are a no no, however the exhaust NEEDS to be more agressive. Because of this I want to replace my muffler, but leave my resonator near the tailpipe alone. First off, does anyone see any problem with this course of action? Secondly, to offset the resonator I was thinking about using a louder flowmaster original 40 series instead of the 50 series that is generally recomended. Does anyone see any problem with this combination? Finally, has anyone actually replaced the muffler with a more agressive one while leaving the resonator alone? Thanks Alot!
I got the 2 chamber flowmaster 50 series muffler put on my 04 hemi yesterday. I just went with the single side exit (didnt want to cut into the side molding on the left side). They replaced my muffler, and straight piped my resonator. Doesn't sound loud at idle, but open throttle that thing roars. I can post pics tommorow if you want and maybe get a sound clip.

Old 06-23-2004, 05:34 PM
RuckstaR
Professional

UPDATE Well, i've done it, got the shop to put on a 40 series classic flowmaster while leaving the stock tailpipe resonator. It is kindof a neat sound, hard to explain, you can tell the diff between the 40 and the mellower 50, but at the same time the 40 sounds alot smoother. Im not sure know whether I want to keep this somewhat unique sound, or eliminate the resonator in a few weeks to go even louder, guess its somthing to ponder. I wouldn't reccomend this setup using anyhting but the 40 series or you will be dissapointed by how quiet is I think.

Quick Reply: Agressive Exhaust