Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Rim Size

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 12:06 AM
R1MAN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rim Size

I have to admit that when it comes to cars specially truck, I have no clue, so here is another question that I'd like to hear your opinion about it
I'm thinking to switch over the 17" rim of 98 Ram 1500 club cap, to 20" and I was wondering that is possible at all or not, and if yes, is it going to be a simple swap or do I need to do something else too?
thanks

Old 06-07-2004, 01:14 PM
B12Teuton
Professional
Default RE: Rim Size

As long as the bolt pattern is the same and the off-set isn't too much different, it should be simple.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:55 PM
DirtyDodge

you should be fine

Old 06-07-2004, 03:28 PM
B12Teuton
Professional

Remember that your gearing will be taller and the extra weight of the wheels and tires will hurt your gas mileage and acceleration. The ride will also seem a bit less comliant because the 20's will add some bounce to your ride, especially over washboard type ripples in the road. The shocks just aren't up to that much dampening.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:40 PM
R1MAN

It seems that it'll add some of those thing that I don't like at all, my truck bounce a lot in bumpy rode already, so its something I'm not after , and gas mileage.
what do you guys recommend me to do?
The stock rims, look so small on my truck, that I've got to do something for it.
I understand there was a reason that they made it that way, but they look out of place, and beside I have a long bed so it makes it even worst.
Please guys, help me out here.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:44 PM
brderj
Veteran

Now I have 17 inch rims and I think they look awesome, they aren't stock but they work great. I like the 20's though, my buddy wants them on his ram and I know Vader and a few others have them and they are tight. The reason I don't like them is the lack of tire options you get. I like MT tires and to find MT for 20's, which I never did find but I hear they are out there, are way to expensive for me. Is it the rims or the tires you need to fill up all that space? Post a pic so we can take a look.

Old 06-07-2004, 07:03 PM
slvrmagnum
Professional

I am thinking of selling my 20's, so if anyone is interested, make an offer. They are the stock 20's and there is only 3000 miles on the truck...

Old 06-20-2004, 04:45 AM
R1MAN

ORIGINAL: brderj

Now I have 17 inch rims and I think they look awesome, they aren't stock but they work great. I like the 20's though, my buddy wants them on his ram and I know Vader and a few others have them and they are tight. The reason I don't like them is the lack of tire options you get. I like MT tires and to find MT for 20's, which I never did find but I hear they are out there, are way to expensive for me. Is it the rims or the tires you need to fill up all that space? Post a pic so we can take a look.
sorry, my respond is kinda late, anyway here is picture of my truck, and the thing is I don't want to fill up the space,and sooner or later I'll lift it up for 3 inches, I just think that the size of the rim/tires don't match the size of the truck.
any idea?
I'd like to get something bigger, now do I need bigger rims or tires, or both?

[IMG]local://upfiles/3073/Ay749790937.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2004, 04:56 AM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 06-20-2004, 04:09 PM
R1MAN

ORIGINAL: scg

As long as you get tires without too short of a sidewall you'll be fine. If I were you I'd go with 275/55/20. That's what comes stock on new Rams with 20's. My dad has them and they don't ride rough at all.
So, do you recommend to get 20" rims?
Is there a way I could keep the stock rims and just change the tires?

Quick Reply: Rim Size