Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Auto trans on auto pilot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 08:46 PM
rakram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto trans on auto pilot?

04 RAM 1500 QC 4.7L, 5 sp auto trans, 4x4, anti-spin diff, 3.92 axle:

With 3.5K under varying load conditions including pulling a trailer recently, I have noticed the 5 speed auto trans will frequently shift down one gear (engine rpm increases 500 to 700) when I let up the gas to coast down a hill. This occurs whether in or out of 'tow/haul' and not using cruise contol. It also happens in cruise control which I might rationalize as a feature to maintain speed setting, but no previous owned vehicle had this 'feature'. Once in high gear, I can reproduce this downshift at any speed between 50 and 70 mph when I find a hill to coast down by simply letting up on the gas pedal; when in cruise, it simply shifts as the descent momentum starts. Trans fluid is within normal limits. This feature has been present since day 1. All recommended break-in speeds and hauling guidelines adhered to mostly, small trailer towing started @ 2.7K. Has anyone experienced similar auto pilot behavior? Any other thoughts on this matter?

Quick Reply: Auto trans on auto pilot?