Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Idle/Vibration Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 06:38 AM
Matrix04
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle/Vibration Problems

Ok this may take some expertiese. I am usually decently proficient in car issues, but this one has got me stymied and the dealer only deepens the issue. I have an 04 5.7 hemi 2wd quad cab, and when i come to a stop, i get a vibration and a groan for about two seconds. I also get this is a greater intensity if any strain is put on the power steering, i.e. turning the wheels while the truck is stopped. I noticed this mostly because backing out or pulling away at slow speeds i get it. The dealer has checked the power steering pump and everything is fine there. My first thought was maybe the idle is low, and therefore not supplying enough power to the pump. Let me skip around for a second. I was wondering what the truck normally should idle at, so i called the dealer(who acted extremely rude because i dared to call them and ask a technical question). I got an answer that seems to go completely against what my truck does, and what i would have expected. I was told that when the truck is warm, it should idle at about 650 rpms w/o A/C, and about 550rpms with the A/C on. Now mine w/o the A/C idles at about 500, and with A/C idles about 600 when warm. The opposite effect of what the dealer says. It would seem logical to me that the computer would bump the rpms up when the A/C is on but that was the answer i got. So there may be an issue there. So back to the other issue, i believe they could be related. Then i asked the dealer if they had a way to adjust the idle. They told me it couldnt be adjusted(which i find VERY hard to beleive) and i have had a few other little things go on electrical wise. These are not problems, but quirky. One thing is the seat belt dinger doesnt go anymore, i tryed reactivating it, thinking i might have turned it off on accident, NO WORKY! Also when i press the cruise control button there is about a second delay before it flashes on, it seems very sloppy for a modern cruise control, meaning it drifts about plus or minus 4 mph from where it is set when in use. I am wondering if these issues could be related, for example some kind of computer failure, and possibly if anyone has the same steering/idle noise(its not just the engine at lower rpms, its a vibration and noise that resonates down the whole truck, and especially in the cab.) Also, is the "technician" i spoke with correct about the idling, and im having a problem, or was he just confused? And do they have a way of adjusting the computer if that is the problem? If they say they cant i have no problem making them just put a new computer in it! Leave any helpful information, Thanks

Quick Reply: Idle/Vibration Problems