Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Ram speaker sizes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004 | 02:24 AM
morso
Default Ram speaker sizes

I'm new to this forum and I see it has a lot of info. I have a question for those who have installed new stereos in their Rams. Mine is an 04 Ram 1500 Quad w/Hemi(of course). I have a new Pioneer Premier stereo, their XM satellite box and am waiting for a 12 disk changer. Anyway, I need to know what size speakers are in the doors, I think Crutchfields is wrong, they say there is 6x9's in the front doors. I will probably be replacing the speakers in the front and rear doors. I'm not looking to rattle windows in the neighborhood, just improving the stock sounds. Also does anyone have any thoughts on mounting a Pioneer 12 disk changer? I'm thinking under the rear seat, in the center so I don't lose the storage wells. I'm planning on mounting the XM box under the center front seat.

Old 06-13-2004 | 02:37 AM
DallasRam
Default RE: Ram speaker sizes

I guarantee that the front doors are 6x9. I checked because I thought the same thing. It looks like a 6 1/2 hole but there is a 6x9 in there. Rams are great but that design of the doors is just weird.

oh yeah, take your time removing the door panel! trust me

Old 06-13-2004 | 03:57 AM
bullitt1229
Professional

I replaced mine about a month ago and the front's are 6X9 and the rears are 5.25", but some people say that 6.5" fit fine. But I replaced my rears with 5.25".

Old 06-13-2004 | 04:10 AM
RAMINAL02
Amateur

i just did my speakers.had 6-9 in doors and 5 1/4 in back but mines reg cab and 02

Old 06-13-2004 | 08:04 PM
morso

Thanks to all who responded, I'll take your words for it, 6x9's in the front, 5 1/4's in the back doors. I get the impression that I should block out a full day for this project. Not an easy change?

Mike

Old 06-13-2004 | 11:16 PM
DjCZR

Sup bro! I have 6.5" seperates up front and in the rear. The size for 03-04 is 6x9 front , 5.25 in the rear for QC. A good sound shop can but almost anything in there. Good luck with it, try sticking that CD changer in the arm rest, I stuck my 6 disc in there! Looks nice! -DjCZR

Old 06-14-2004 | 12:39 AM
morso

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll go with 6x9's in the front and 5 1/4's in the rear. I like the idea about mounting the changer in the armrest, but my wife likes to use it for storage, the storage area under that seat looks great, but I don't think the 12 disk changer will fit right. I think I'll put the XM receiver there.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-14-2004 | 02:57 AM
Mikeg1005
Professional

I don't know how long it will take you to install the changer and stereo head unit, but in terms of speakers, I changed my front speakers in my 98' Ram not too long ago, got some aftermarket stock speakers off of eBay(my old ones were burned out when I got the truck, and I didn't feel like spending a lot). But anyways, it took me about an hour and half on the passanger side door, because I had trouble taking the old amp off the speakers and then finding a new place to mount it, along with finding things to mount it with, and then finally putting those stupid plastic studs back into the door panels, but then after I did that door it took about 5 minutes on the next one because I knew exactly what to do.

When you are doing this, just make sure you replaces the studs if you break then(luckly I didn't) and push all of them in or otherwise your door will rattle and it gets annoying fast, I fixed mine though.

Thats my 2 cents,

Mike.

Old 06-14-2004 | 05:46 PM
Ram4Aaron
Professional

What size are mine then, I've got a 01 Q/C sport. I want to change the deck and even tried to but it didn't work. I know the deck used to work when i took it outta my other car. My buddy said the truck might have another amp in their somewhere and that could be the problem. Is that easy to fix? The deck I have has a 50W amp attached to it. ANy help would be great! Thanks!

Old 06-14-2004 | 11:25 PM
morso

Mike,

Thanks for the info, my Ram is an 04, according to other posts, the door panels are now held on with screws, no more studs, hopefully that will make it easier. Just for anyone's info, I tryed using Crutchfields expert advise and was sent an e-mail that says the rear door speakers are 6 1/2 and they don't list anything else for them. I guess they access the same computer info as they put up on their web site, (duh). I think I will go with what people say on this forum and go with 5 1/4 in the rears. After all, these people have actually opened the panels up.

Mike

Quick Reply: Ram speaker sizes