Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Shaking with anticipation

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 04:36 AM
edlance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking with anticipation

Hi!

New user here, just had to gloat a little.....sitting here, after midnight, can't sleep, gotta get up early for work......tomorrow AFTER work (going to be the longest day of my life), I get to pick up my new 2004 RAM 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 diesel!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

What a whirlwind day it has been. I didn't even intend to buy a new truck today, much less this year. I have a 2002 1500 quad cab and I've been dreaming and drooling over a 2500 4x4 diesel ever since Dodge hit the market with their "big rig" body styles back in '84. Well, last night I happened to catch a local dealer advertising $8,000 off the sticker of 2004 model RAM's...of course, the catch is that this is only good on the 1500 trucks, not the 2500 or 3500. Ah well, it sparked a sudden and intense desire to buy the truck of my dreams, finally after all these years. I went through all the hand wringing, the looking at the finances, discussing it with the wife, etc, et al. I called my bank this morning, got pre approved for what I thought might be too little money, checked with the insurance company and then set in for a long, grueling search and many phone calls looking for the truck I wanted.

Since I live in Texas (Air Force stationed here), the 2500 quad cab 4x4 diesel is THE most sought after model of all the Rams...just my luck, the dealers have slim pickings. Find one in a color I can live with and the options are crap, find one with the options I want and the color is not what I want...blah.....but finally, through it all, I finally found it! A nice patriot blue (not a two-tone with the silver bottom which is the one I really, really want) but I can live with the all blue, light group package, the "2UG" package, premium cloth seats, power everything, including the driver's seat, the "Lonestar" package (tow hooks, cast aluminum wheels, larger tires 265's instead of the 245's), 4 speed-auto, the new Cummins 600 engine **, tow package, SLT trim (can't quite afford a Laramie), and the real deal sealer...the upgraded 7-speaker Infinity sound system.

My little 1500 Ram I have now was purchased with hail damage, so I wasn't expecting them to like it much on trade-in and probably wouldn't get the pay-off on it, but I have been quite surprised. The sticker on the new 2500 is $41,795. They are taking my 1500 on trade and I am driving the new 2500 out the door for $33,955 (which includes tax, tag and title in the mix!!!). It's not costing me a single dollar out of pocket on the trade. I am in heaven!!!! I'm also so psyched up I can't sleep...heh.

I put the astericks next to the Cummins 600 because until tonight, while reading websites on the Rams did I discover that the 600 was a new engine and all the rage in the diesel world. I know that Dodge had a newer Cummins last year with the pre-injection for quietness, etc, but this new engine just came out this year. 325HP and 600 lb-feet of torque...oh man....I bet this thing will make the guys in the Hemi 1500's do a double take!

Well, feeling better now, just felt the need to "shout it out" to the world :-) I'm finally getting the truck I have been dreaming about for 20 years....I sure hope this new Cummins and the new Ram live up to its reputation......

Old 06-18-2004, 04:48 AM
RuckstaR
Professional
Default RE: Shaking with anticipation

Congrats on your new truck! One question though....If you have a 2002 1500 have you not already experienced...and owned the new body style ram? 1500's in 2002 were all the new style were they not? Just the 2500's + weren't.

Old 06-18-2004, 12:21 PM
edlance

Yes, the 2002 is the newest body style. The 1500 I have now is my second RAM and the first extended cab (quad cab). I had a '95 standard cab prior to this one that I bought used with a 6 cylinder gas engine (big mistake). I pulled that 6 cylinder out and dropped a 5.9L V-8 that I got from a junk yard out of a wrecked '96. Interesting conversion :-) I think I had the only half-ton Ram in Texas that had a 5.9L and stick shift :-) Man, that sucker would go!

When I bought the 2002, I recall having read that Dodge was not going to put the Hemi in the half-ton trucks, so I ended up with the 4.7L V-8. Of course, they ende dup coming out with the Hemi in the 1500's....grrrr. Had I known that, I would have waited. The 4.7L is ok, but when you turn on the A/C it drags it down too much IMHO. Kind of a dog and I'm only getting about 13-14MPG and my driving is mostly highway. I like the truck in general, drives and rides nice, but still not a diesel 2500 :-)

I've always wanted a diesel Ram 4x4 and until yesterday, just have never been able to afford one. I mean, $40K...that's nearly half the price of my house! Heh. No matter, it's now mine :-) I just have to survive until the end of the day today to go pick it up :-)

Old 06-18-2004, 02:53 PM
1EvilBee

Sweet, congrats man! Make sure to post some pics when you get it

Old 06-19-2004, 04:07 AM
edlance

The other night I couldn't sleep out of the excitement and anticipation, tonight, I can't sleep out of frustration and anger. I drove an hour and a half to that Dodge dealer pretty much figuring the deal was done...but alas, it is a no go :-( The dealer, even after several discussions on the phone prior with plenty of explanation, would not give me the trade-in I needed on my current 2002 RAM to make the deal happen. My current Ram has hail damage..I bought it that way in a "hail damage" sale. I explained that to them several times, I wanted it absolutely clear this damage was there. They understood, or so they said and they still said that a trade-in of $14,300 sounded right. Well, when I got there, they acted like the hail damage had all but beat this truck to death...exclamations of "I've never seen that much hail damage before", etc, etc. They offered me $10,500 on my trade. Man, what a yank job.

I fully understand they have to do some repair and still sell for profit, but by god the NADA bluebook trade-in value on this truck in "good" condition is $17,125 with the options I have on it!! I looked that up prior and that's how I figured that $14,300 was not out of line considering the hail dings. I mean, geez, almost $3,000 off the good trade-in value seems reasonable. Nothing else wrong with the truck, it is not high mileage, and other than the hail damage it is in near perfect condition. The Kelley bluebook trade-in value (evaluating using the manul "rate it" selection), accounting for hail damage, body dings/dents, tires and brakes worn 50% or more, smoking in the truck (which I do) the trade-in value according to these settings is $14,525!!! Damn, what does it take for these dealers to make a fair trade-in?

Oh well, there is a two-tone black and silver one down at the local dealer where I originally purchased the current Ram...I'll go visit them tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe, they will be a little more understanding and willing to deal. If not, then I guess it'll be another year until I get my Ram 2500....sigh.

Old 06-19-2004, 04:32 AM
edlance

Almost forgot....at least I got to drive the blue one tonight before the bad news. Up till now, I've never driven any of the newer diesel Rams. My impression after this short, 5-6 mile drive:

The new 600 diesel is still noiser in the cab than I expected. Not a bad thing though as I do like the growl, especially when you put your foot in it a little and the turbo starts to wind up. I was worried it was going to be too quiet...I do want a little of that diesel sound...and it has it :-)

The one I drove is an automatic. I was surprised at how far I had to step into the throttle to get it to move off at a decent rate. I guess with the full 600 lb-ft of torque at 1600 RPM, I expected this thing to want to leap to life even at idle. Not the case with the automatic. Not that big a deal as I am sure I would get used to it in short order, like you get used to the clutch in a new vehicle. Just not quite how I imagined it would "feel".
If I had the choice, I think I would opt for the 6-speed manual.

Once you get your foot into it though, for a big, heavy truck, it moves alright, albeit with a nashing growl of the diesel...which is good :-)

I only drove it around in the local area (a small town) so I didn't get any highway time. Everyhting was 30-40 MPH with some stop and goes at lights. I reset the mileage computer when I started off and at the end of the drive it was at 9.6 MPG. Again, I was a little surprised as I figured it would have done better....but, like I said, short, stop and go drive for only a few miles. My daily driving style from home should boost that number quite a bit if everyhting I am hearing and reading about the mileage of this engine is true (and a large part of the reason I want a diesel....a big truck, but still decent MPG...not to mention diesel fuel is cheaper than gas....about .25 cents cheaper per gallon here).

Ride quality astounded me. I've read a lot about the 1500 trucks riding so much better because of their independent front suspension, etc, and I am ready to sacrifice that for a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck, but I tell ya, that 2500 4x4 rode every bit as smooth as my 1500. Tight, almost like the ride of a taught sport/touring car...really. You definitley felt the bumps, but the truck felt controlled and the suspension handled it well. I am very impressed with the ride quality of this truck.

The Cummins diesel vibrates a fair amount, especially at idle. Wasn't sure what to expect there as I've always heard the diesels vibrate some. Not a show stopper for me though...I still love the truck :-)

Oh...that $750 7-speaker infinity stereo? Blah. Not worth it if you ask me. That was the reason I went after this patriot blue truck and not the black and silver at the local dealer. I like the black and silver color better, but I read that the Infinity stereo was pretty kickin. So when it came to crunch time, I opted to try and get the blue truck because of the stereo (figuring I spend more time inside the truck driving than outside looking at it). Maybe in a way it is good this deal fell through. I'll go try for the black and silver one tomorrow...I can always add a better stereo later...and for $750, it will pretty kickin.

God, I hate shopping for new vehicles...it is such a traumatic experience, is never quick and easy and seems to take a week when it should take an hour...lol.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:27 AM
edlance

Yesssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just drove in with my new truck! The black and silver one locally didnt work out.....no go on the trade, so drove 200 miles to another dealer and things went much better. I still ended up financing $1300 more than I intended to when I started this quest, but I got pay-off plus $500 on my trade-in, which is $2,000 more than any other dealer was willing to do.

My truck is white, which is what I really wanted to begin with, so came full circle, lol.....she's loaded though (SLT plus some options)....not a Laramie, but next time....

Happy, happy, happy, happy.............

Old 06-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Chauncy
Rookie

grats man

wish I had found my truck in diesel, love my truck cept when gas time comes ever 3 days lol

Quick Reply: Shaking with anticipation