Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

oil and filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 07:13 AM
vlsun
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil and filters

i use castrol gtx 10w30 (5w30 in winter) and fram filter. i was wondering if there is any actual benifit (not theory based) to going synthetic? if so, which are the best? also, which filters work the best?

Old 06-19-2004, 09:42 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: oil and filters

Man. You don't know what you may have started here.[sm=smiley2.gif] This topic has come up alot on this board since many of us are synthetic users or dealers. You may want to do a search and sit down with your favorite drink for an afternoon. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2004, 02:07 PM
dodgeramnz
Professional

the filters which work the best are the ones that remove pollutants from the oil. the best oil is the one that stops the motor from siezing.

but seriously. i still believe the manufacturers recommendation is fine unless you thrash the living daylights outta ya truck.

if your worried just half the recommended change period and all shall be well

one mans opinion

Old 06-19-2004, 02:34 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

There's a Synthetic Oil section here on DF that has tons of information......
check it out!!!!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-19-2004, 02:43 PM
vlsun
Veteran

looking at some posts about amsoil 10w30 users, holy crap, 12k miles before drain? i beat the dog **** out of what ever i drive, so wear and tear is a concern of mine, i just want the best protection and running cooler would certainly be good. but at $70 for 12 quarts is quite pricey.
i suppose trying it a few times wont hurt. i figure change after 3000 miles on the first time to flush out the previous oil that was used, then after 6000.

Old 06-19-2004, 02:52 PM
dodgeramnz
Professional

$70 beats how ever many thousands for a new block and a rebuild

Old 06-20-2004, 12:48 AM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vlsun

looking at some posts about amsoil 10w30 users, holy crap, 12k miles before drain? i beat the dog **** out of what ever i drive, so wear and tear is a concern of mine, i just want the best protection and running cooler would certainly be good. but at $70 for 12 quarts is quite pricey.
i suppose trying it a few times wont hurt. i figure change after 3000 miles on the first time to flush out the previous oil that was used, then after 6000.

Thats where you use a product like Amsoil engine flush to "pre-clean" your engine. http://www.amsoil.com/products/aef.html . Use this before switching to synthetic oil. Be sure to use a new but "cheap" oil filter when you run the engine flush.

I drove 1 year and 7500 miles in my Ram and 1 year/ 16,500 miles in my Dakota. I replaced the oil filters on each truck at six months.

I also got the cooler running, and quieter engine, + better mileage from changing to synthetic oil.

Bill,

Old 06-20-2004, 04:33 AM
vlsun
Veteran

quieter operation and better mileage? that's awesome, i think i'll take the plunge.

Quick Reply: oil and filters