Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

tires/rims and lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 06:05 AM
sudadog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires/rims and lift

I recentlly purchased a new 04 quadcab 4x4. I am curious if anyone knows how big tires and rims I can put on if I keep it stock. I have heard 17" rims w/33s will work, but my tire/wheel guy says they will rub. I would assume the offset/brand of the wheels could make a difference.

Also, I'm considering adding a 2" levelling kit (which, by the way, can anyone vouch for these, because I've heard good and bad things...) If I did that, how big could I go???? 35s???

Old 06-24-2004, 07:21 AM
RuckstaR
Professional
Default RE: tires/rims and lift

Feel free to correct me anyone if I'm wrong but If you've got the 4x4 it has independant front suspension and there is no levelling kit available. You have to crank the torsion bars instead. I know Vader has done this.

Old 06-24-2004, 11:39 AM
DallasRam

ORIGINAL: RuckstaR

Feel free to correct me anyone if I'm wrong but If you've got the 4x4 it has independant front suspension and there is no levelling kit available. You have to crank the torsion bars instead. I know Vader has done this.

I saw some replacement 2" lift coils in a summit or jc whitney catalog for about $179, would that work?

Old 06-24-2004, 12:52 PM
sudadog

that would be great. I looked on both Summit and JC Whiney, but couldn't find anything for a new 1500. got any more info?

Old 06-24-2004, 08:16 PM
DallasRam

ORIGINAL: sudadog

that would be great. I looked on both Summit and JC Whiney, but couldn't find anything for a new 1500. got any more info?

I swear my catalog says 1500 also. here's a link

http://www.jcwtruck.com/autoparts/En...ControllerView

I will scan my catalog and post it in a minute

Old 06-24-2004, 08:22 PM
DallasRam

here's the scan

[IMG]local://upfiles/3823/Vt565234357.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-24-2004, 08:59 PM
RuckstaR
Professional

That's weird cas its there plain as day, but everyone one here has been saying you have to crank torsion bars. Someone who has actually gone through this process feel like weighing in? Noones giving our friend here very much help.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:40 PM
sudadog

after doing a little researh around town today, it looks like the 03 and 04 1500s have IFS on the front end, therefore its as cheap completely lift the whole truck 4" as it is to just lift the front end 2".

From what I gather, the 03 and 04 2500 and 3500s still have the old style (coil-over?) suspension, allowing them to be lifted much easier and cheaper...

Still, does anyone know for sure if you can fit 33" tires under the new 1500s?? I'm looking at wheels with a bou a 4 1/2" offset. My tire guy says if I mess too much w/ the torsion bars to get additional lift I'll probably void my warranty and risk tearing up my control arms and CVs.

Old 06-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Chauncy
Rookie

if you turn your torsion bars 5 turns you get about 1.5 inches of lift and can fit a 315 70 17 under it

and about it voiding your warranty, depends on the dealership I guess
I mentioned lifting my truck to a salesman at my dealership (mom's bf was looking for a new cummins) and he told me to just wrench on my torsion bars (he knew I drove a 2500 too, hrmm)

Quick Reply: tires/rims and lift