Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Installing a exhaust dump.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Mikeg1005
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a exhaust dump.

I was considering that instead of buying a whole catback with dual pipes, I would just buy a muffler and dump it afterwards(cheaper and I can get pipes later from somewhere, not worried about that yet). But in order to install the dump, I have to find a way to secure the muffler. I was thinking about a Flowmaster 40 series, 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlet. I have a few questions regaurding installing the dump.

Would the muffler just slip right onto the pipe leading from the cat on my 1998 Ram 1500. Or would I have to install an adapter on it to have the two connect.

Then how would I secure the muffler from the back. I'm pretty sure there are no hanging mounts back there, so how would you recommend to connect back? I was thinking maybe getting some metal straps and securing it around the muffler to and then screwing it into the frame, since there are already holes there.

Any suggestions would be nice,

Thanks,
Mike.

Old 06-24-2004, 06:17 PM
SRT 8 guy
Professional
Default RE: Installing a exhaust dump.

If u are going to go that route just go to auto zone etc. and buy an exhaust hanger that wraps around the size pipe that u are using. then put it either in front or behind the muffler and hang it from the frame.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Mikeg1005
Professional
Default RE: Installing a exhaust dump.

Alright, I figured that they had to make something like that, that was one of my ideas, and the hanger comes with something that sticks or screws into the frame im guessing and you slip it into it. What about connection from the cat pipe to the muffler? Would the 3" inlet just slide right onto the cat pipe or would I need something to connect it?

Mike.

Quick Reply: Installing a exhaust dump.