Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

dual exhaust, back pressure ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 05:55 AM
dodgeram56
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual exhaust, back pressure ?!?!

ok i am thinking of getiign a custom exhaust installed at a local shop many of my friends have gone there and i know the guy and he does good work but i wam wondering if my 99 ram with 318 will lose low end torque becuase i want more instead of losing it

it seems like i dont have enought low end torque now is there anyway i can increase it by installing a dual exhaust or do i have to go with a crapy singe exhaust or an expensive cat back system

Old 06-25-2004, 06:42 AM
justasxt
Default RE: dual exhaust, back pressure ?!?!

My current Ram is a 3500 with the Cummins diesel. However, before I got this truck I had a 1999 Ram 1500 with the 318, auto trans, and a 3.55 rearend. A local shop here in Phoenix built a system for my truck using just one muffler. The muffler was a 14" long MagnaFlow. It had a 3" inlet and two 2 1/2" outlets. The shop opened up the back end of the cat to 3". My exhaust pipes exited under the bumper one on either side of the receiver hitch. It was the best sounding truck I've ever owned! Under the hood I installed an Airaid intake system. The two combined provided a noticeable increase in power and mpg's when towing the 5000 pound trailer I had at the time. I certainly didn't lose any torque as a result of decreased back pressure.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:57 PM
SRT 8 guy
Professional
Default RE: dual exhaust, back pressure ?!?!

Yea as long as u have pipes coming out the back of the muffler u should have no problem. It is just when people get to crazy and have a short high flow muffler mounted close to the engine with no pipes coming off the back that u have probs.

Quick Reply: dual exhaust, back pressure ?!?!