Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Ayone done the IAT Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Davo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ayone done the IAT Mod?

Anyone installed the IAt mod to thier Hemi? It seems in theory to be a good idea,for around $30.00.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Moneh
Default RE: Ayone done the IAT Mod?

mind if i ask whats the IAT mod? im not all cought up with the dodge lingo yet. but i know all of the jeep lingo since my old truck was a jeep.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:32 PM
loosewheelbob

The IAT sensor reads the temperature of the air coming into the engine. The computer uses this to determine how much gas to give the engine, the colder the temp is, the more gas it gets, and vice versa (like a choke on a carburator). I don't know where it's located on the new hemi, but on my '98 5.9 Ram, it's mounted to the intake manifold, which is hot as hell. I relocated mine to the air intake tube, which is cooler air, tricking the computer into thinking it's cold, and it gives the engine more gas.

The IAT mod, if it's what I'm thining of, is nothing more than a resistor, which you can buy for less then $1 for Radio Shack. There are 2 ways that I've heard of doing it. One is to jumper the plug to your IAT with the resistor, The other is to splice the resistor into one of the wires on the IAT. If it's too high of a resistance, your truck will run like crap because it's getting too much gas.

Another option, and the one I did, was to relocate my IAT from the intake manifold to the actual ait intake tube before the air filter. It cost like 35 cents to get a plug to put in the manifold where the sensor was, and just a few minutes to drill a hole in the air box to mount the IAT there. Now I did this on a '98 Ram with a 5.9, I have no idea where your IAT might be located on the new hemi, but I would try it the way I did if I were you. That way, if you don't like it, all you have to do is put it back where it belongs and plug the hole in the air intake, you don't have to worry about splicing wires, and The reading your computer gets will vary with the actual air temp, it just gets a reading of cooler air.

When I did it, I had a check engine light, but that went away by disconnecting the battery. I haven't had any problems since. It's really hard to tell if it improved performance, but I think it did. However, it didn't effect my gas mileage at all, so really, what can it hurt?

Old 06-27-2004, 03:32 AM
lawntycoon
Professional

I ordered mine based on the info here we shall see ...its been over a week though and no package!......

Old 07-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Davo

I have decided against the mod because the new superchips adjusts the IAT at the PCM.

Quick Reply: Ayone done the IAT Mod?