Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

hissing ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 12:58 AM
RamminGawga
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hissing ram

I have a 99 ram (360) which starts making a whistling sound at part throttle only. It seems to come from the intake. Anybody?

Old 06-29-2004, 01:44 AM
crcarch
Professional
Default RE: hissing ram

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me or a misfitting air inlet. Does it make the sound only when you're driving or can you hear it when you're sitting still and revving the motor? If so, take a piece of heater hose, hold one end to your ear and move it around the running engine to pinpoint the sound.

Hope that helps

Old 06-29-2004, 10:04 PM
trumpetguy27

you mention it is coming from the air intake.... are we talking about a stock air filter or some kind of aftermarket intake? If we are talking about something aftermarket that is a more "open" filter I believe the sound you here is completely normal... or at least thats what my mechanic / gearhead friend tells me... just has to do with how much more easily the new intake breaths than the stock one and the air rushing in.

If anybody disagrees PLEASE let me know.... cuz I definately have the same "hiss" and am assuming its supposed to be there

Old 06-30-2004, 04:48 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a CAI it is normal, if you still have a stock housing it is not attached properly, they are kinda tricky sometimes to get sealed up.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:37 AM
billyd12
Professional

ya, if you gotta stock housing... they are a pain in my **** to get sealed up...

try taking off your stock intake and putting it back on....make sure the seal/plastic housing
line up good to the TB, plus make sure the metal ring is on correctly...

if your new too dodge, and you know someone to has one and works on it themself..go talk to that person.
he/she should be able to seal up your intake... if that is the problem.

Quick Reply: hissing ram