Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Alternator Problem? & Cruise Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:04 AM
tvspot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Problem? & Cruise Control Question

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2004 Hemi Quad Cab. But, my headlights will dim and I can hear the air-conditioning blowers slow when I push the buttons to roll up my windows. The air-conditioning fans will also slow when I am sitting at a stoplight. When I start accelerating again they blow harder. I never had this issue with my 99 Ram and right now the truck is completely factory. I think I will really have a problem when I start putting in all my stereo equipment.

The other difference I noticed is the way the Cruise Control operates. In my '99 Ram, when the cruise control was engaged the gas pedal would move "robotically" according to acceleration or deceleration. In the '04 Ram the pedal doesn't move, which makes it kind of abrupt when you drop out of cruise control. With my '99 Ram I could place my foot on the gas pedal, drop it out of cruise control and I could slowly control the amount of deceleration. Anyone else notice this with their '04 ?

Old 06-30-2004, 04:53 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Alternator Problem? & Cruise Control Question

Normal and normal. The cruise first, on your 99 truck the gas pedal went to the throttle. When you hit the cruise a seperate cable pulled on the throttle body and you felt it. On your HEMI the cable goes no-where. It is only there so you "feel" like you are pushing on a gas pedal, thats why you dont feel it when you engage cruise. The elctrical is very complicated but the short of it is the NGC(pcm) is controlling battery voltage by reducing power to "non-essential" devices as it sees fit. There is so much electronics on these things now if the NGC let evrything run at full power you could kill a battery driving down the street.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:57 PM
tvspot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alternator Problem? & Cruise Control Question

Hey man thanks a lot! That makes sense... Do you think I will have a problem with power though, once I install my Video/Audio equipment? Will I need a Cap to keep my headlights from dimming? Thanks again!
-Brian-

Quick Reply: Alternator Problem? & Cruise Control Question