Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

4 speed trany question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Jimmyz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 speed trany question

I have owned both Ford and Chevy full size conversion van in the past, But never had a Dodge. Yesterday I found what seems to be a good deal to me on a 99 Dodge Ram full size (low top) conversion van. It's for sale for $6,900.

It's a 1999 Ram 1500 109" WB Conversion Van with a 5.2L (318) MPI V8 "MAGNUM" ENGINE, Automatic - 4-SPEED ELECTRONICALLY-CONTROLLED, and 3.55 axle ratio. It has 80k miles on it.

My question is many related to the transmission. How long do these trany last in a van? I've only owned Dodge trucks and cars with the ole 727 Automatic in them. When did they start using this 4 speed Automatic trany? Is there any year of a conversion van I should stay from? Any info or input would be great.

Thanks
Jim

Old 08-24-2006, 11:51 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: 4 speed trany question

They started using them in '91 or '92 if I remember right, and went to the electronic ones in '96. The vans use the same transmissions that the trucks do. They do have their problems, but can last a long time IF taken care of properly (fluid & filter change every 25,000-30,000 miles), transmission cooler, frequent band adjustment.

How many miles are on it?

Old 08-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Jimmyz
Default RE: 4 speed trany question

81k miles on it.

No trailer hitch so I don't think it's been used to tow with.

Quick Reply: 4 speed trany question