Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

please help me decide...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 PM
4x4oli
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: please help me decide...

To keep it simple, to modify a cummins is like a kid in a candy shop. Any turbo vehicle is a blast to modify, because you don't look for little reuslts here and there and try to squeeze HP out of nothing. With a turbovehicle, you get fast, easy, cheap power simply by increasing boost with any piggyback computer like a hypertech or superchips. I'm Sure Cummins have makes even more specific to them than these, but like I said to keep it simple, a hypertech can put you up about 140 tq. And for the Jake brake, it helps if you're towing, it might be a little overkill if you aren't.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:23 PM
thralkhan

No, not towing...at least on a daily basis. mostly a daily driver, with some off-road (nothing extreme)...

I do want something I can modify and make my own.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:51 AM
macremo98
Rookie

One more vote for the Cummins. It may end up being more engine than you'll ever need, but you'll have it in the event you do. Plus, it's a Cummins... enough said. I love my Hemi, but eventually I plan an upgrading to the CTD.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:21 PM
4x4oli
Rookie

PS- Engine life of a diesel VS a gas powered engine... Look at some of the big rigs with CTD engines, literally millions of miles put on them, and the inline 6 in the 2500 3500s is built the same way as its big brothers.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:53 AM
sharx ram
Champion

Id deffinately go with the Cummins turbo diesel, it cost abit more to change the oil, but thats not that bad when you consider what it can do...especially when you put a chip on it [8D]

Old 09-25-2006, 12:35 PM
thralkhan

Here's another question...I've heard that the CTDs lack top-end and if you start putting larger wheels you'll lose speed. I'm new when it comes to diesels so I don't know if this is true. Hearing the comment about losing speed reminded me of what happened when I put 31" on my Wrangler. I had to downshift to 1st geat to make it up a hill...and I had a 4.0l. I don't want that to happen again.

Speaking of past experiences, I used to have an '89 Silverado, lifted, with 35" tires. I blew that piece-of-crap 700R4 tranny 3 times, just from daily driving (yes, it had a tranny cooler). Other than that being a POS Chevy, I know that the mods on it caused a lot of stress. Am I wrong to be under the impression that the CTD can take the mods without sacrificing performance?

Oh, another thing, I finally found a dealer that sells Power Wagons!!!! It was a standard cab (I wanna quad) but I loved it. It had a Hemi instead of the CTD, but I think I'm going to shoot for that model. I really don't see myself doing too much to it...it's height is just right, but the 285's could be replaced with a slightly larger tire to fill in the space, and then a few engine mods to make it breathe.

Looking forward to the comments. Thanks!

Edit: I just noticed on the Dodge website that you can only get a PW with a Hemi...hmm...

Old 09-25-2006, 08:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 226 Likes on 211 Posts

Ok, I can help answer this one... I have the 33's on mine w/o a lift, I just got 17.3 mpg on a 500 mile trip down to Los Angeles, 16.0 on the way back... having more fun with it on the way back. If you do the mods right, you'll bring back what you loose in tire size. I know I did and am pretty close to having my truck dialed in the way I want it for the long term.

My thing is to have the good mileage on tap for an every day driver and the power available to use whenever I want... at the push of a button.

my mods... AFE intake stage 2 with the pro-guard filter, ATS intake manifold, 30" magnaflow muffler and the TST box. the last addition which is on it's way is an aero turbine muffler which will go in front of the magnaflow. i believe this will give me that last boost of low end that i'm looking for.

CTD all the way...

Quick Reply: please help me decide...